PDA

View Full Version : Two boxes the Same - Please help

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi there. I was wondering how you would do the following:

I have a text field where users can input their name, and I was wondering how to set another box to display whatever the user typed in the first box? How to make the second box non editable would also be great.

Cheers

davidj
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
whats this for

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
it's for a psp portal i'm making where the user types their name in a box, and then when you open up start menu their name appears at the top.

Thanks

davidj
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
why would a user type his name in the box?

just so he can see it in the start menu

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
stop picking holes in my portal and plz just tell me how 2 do it!

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Also it is for authenticity

davidj
10-09-2007, 08:02 PM
i just dont understand why you want this....

if it is so you can say..... "look what happens when i type my name hear ... It appears here".

People just wont do it mate. Your wasting your time with this

davidj
10-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Also it is for authenticity

Oh i misunderstood

its a login system. A members area yes

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Lol - yes its meant to be the logon screen like in w xp. Now could you please tell me how to do it?

davidj
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
its driven by a server side language and a database

you need to have a good understanding of HTML and be able to handcode it to a high standard before looking into this

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Omg i dont have a server it doesent even use the internet - just a bunch of linked pages. You're making it more complicated than it is. There is only going to be a couple of people using it - please, please just answer my question!

davidj
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Omg i dont have a server it doesent even use the internet - just a bunch of linked pages. You're making it more complicated than it is. There is only going to be a couple of people using it - please, please just answer my question!

if you dont understand how this web page malarky works then how would you be able to impliment a login script?

you cant make this a secure login system without checking account details from inside a database. How else would you do it?

aliginthere
10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
its not a login! its just a box you type your name into - it doesnt even remember your name - its just a little gimmick - gees!

davidj
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Ohh i got it right the first time... im sorry i dont do gimmicks!

ill help you with the serious stuff when your ready.

im sure someone will come along with a solution for you

aliginthere
10-10-2007, 06:24 AM
You are really offensive. When im ready? Get real mate. Forums are where you help people when you know how - it shouldnt make a difference what it is that im doing!

davidj
10-10-2007, 07:44 AM
i tend to do the more serious stuff like server side scripting and app development. What i meant by "when your ready" is once you have grown out of playing with toys ill be there to help you.

Forums are where you help people when you know how - it shouldnt make a difference what it is that im doing!

that only applies when your paying me to help you.

Get real mate.

err i am. A real guy who does this for a living (in the adult world)

domedia
10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
You are really offensive.
Not a single thing DJ has said has been offensive, be nice.
When im ready? Get real mate. Forums are where you help people when you know how - it shouldnt make a difference what it is that im doing! All help here is on a volunteer basis. If you won't answer some questions so members can help you better, don't be surprised if you're not getting any help. This is a community, not a helpdesk :)

aliginthere
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
ok - sorry but i just really want the answer to my question

domedia
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Honestly, I don't know. I've never done it before. In theory you should be able to fire a javascript function that would place the value wherever on the page using the DOM.

aliginthere
10-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for trying to help me - ill see if I can find out on another forum.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

davidj
10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
cant believe im doing this...

your form fields must have an id attribute

example....

id="field1"

add a new field where you want the text to appear and add a new id to it called field2

you can get the value from the fields by using the following

function getVal(){

f = document.getElementById('field1').value;

document.getElementById('field2').value = f;

}

add a button to the field which you type your name in and add the following event and function call...

onclick="getVal()"