PDA

View Full Version : Importing A Navigation Source

rstanberry
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm in a club which has decided to have a website. I'm the only one in the club with experience but my days of working on my church website are long behind me and technology has passed me by. I'm used to manually imputing HTML tags into a txt document. A member of my club got a copy of Dreamweaver MX from the school and gave it to me. I once used FrontPage, but I can't find that anymore, I suppose they stopped making it.

I'm not sure if what I want to do is possible, but if so please let me know. Here's my problem: I'm building a multi page website with 7 main sections and at least 10 subsections off of each of those. Through my limited experience I know that once my site is done and I make a change to the main navigation bar for example that I'll have to go and do a cut and paste in every subsequent document. That takes a long time and I'm hoping there is a way around it. What I'm thinking is there might be a possibility I can create a document of only the navigation bar. Then I can use this document as a source on the top of every page of my site. That way when I update the document, the entire site will update instantly. Is this possible? How? Do I need to use CSS? Is this possible using roll-over images?

Thanks so much for all your help,
Rstanberry.

domedia
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Dreamweaver has a built in system for development like this, dreamweaver templates. Create the template and define which areas on pages, built from this template, should be editable. The rest is edited from the template and applied to all pages. Have a good look in the help files that comes with DW for this, it's not hard, but a big time saver.

gmcrone
10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
If all you want is an auto update navigation menu, take a look at "Library items".
Create your nav structure only and save it as a library item. Add the library item to each page as your nav. Whenever you need to update the nav, you just update the library item...

Mike...

neonfluxx
10-04-2007, 06:22 PM
If all you want is an auto update navigation menu, take a look at "Library items".
Create your nav structure only and save it as a library item. Add the library item to each page as your nav. Whenever you need to update the nav, you just update the library item...

couldn't have said it better

BRANKULO
10-05-2007, 02:16 AM
how do you add lybrary items?

d a v e
10-05-2007, 07:18 AM
F1 (the shortcut for dreamweaver help) tells you everything you need to know about library items ;)

Jittor
10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I just use CSS and Divs. I created a separate file that just has my menu, then linked it in all of my pages with this code:

<div id="header"><?include('header.php');?></div>

Then, when I change a link it changes for all my pages. I did this for the footer and a couple other things.