PDA

View Full Version : What's Everyone's Perferred Method for Laying Out your Site?

domi0036
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm very new, so bear with me a bit please....

But, like the title says, what has everyone found to be the best (I realize this is probably personal preferance) way to lay out your site?

Since I'm new to Dreamweaver, it seems like using layout tables, then CSS on top of that seems like the way to go, but, being as I'm new, CSS is still pretty tough for me.

What about everyone else? How do yall start your sites when starting from scratch?

Jittor
10-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I uses Div's and CSS, no tables for me. Once I started learning CSS I dropped the tables and never looked back, but up until then I used tables until I was ready to move to CSS.

edbr
10-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Once I started learning CSS I dropped the tables and never looked back,
me too but it would be better to start with divs

Jittor
10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree, but I didn't have the knowledge back then, and was just trying to grasp HTML and tables were just easier. When I was comfortable with HTML I moved to CSS, now I'm working on PHP.

domi0036
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
So you don't think I should use tables at all? just start with div tags? Don't your run into problems with div tags because you can't absolute position things?

So, it sounds like yall agree CSS is the best way, any tips on getting more comfortable with CSS?

domedia
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
So you don't think I should use tables at all? just start with div tags? Yes
Don't your run into problems with div tags because you can't absolute position things? You can position things exactly how you want with CSS. Tables are restrained to your table cell structure, divs are not.

So, it sounds like yall agree CSS is the best way, any tips on getting more comfortable with CSS? Read through some tutorials, ask questions, and you're on your way to web design heaven :)

Jittor
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
If you feel comfortable learning CSS then Yes that is the way to go. CSS is much more giving than tables. honestly, I hate tables. They limit you on just about everything. You might still use them for somethings, but for the most part you would use CSS all the time. Once you learn it you will use it for everything.

DWC has some tutorials on CSS but they are more for those who have a basic understanding of CSS. Here is the link:

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-articles.php

This site is great for learning the basics on CSS and a number of other languages:

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

Just click on learn CSS on the left.

Jittor
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
DWC need a CSS tutorial on a basic 2 or 3 column site. I would do it but I don't feel I am strong enough with CSS to do a tutorial. What do you think Dom?

domi0036
10-03-2007, 02:36 PM
If you feel comfortable learning CSS then Yes that is the way to go. CSS is much more giving than tables. honestly, I hate tables. They limit you on just about everything. You might still use them for somethings, but for the most part you would use CSS all the time. Once you learn it you will use it for everything.

DWC has some tutorials on CSS but they are more for those who have a basic understanding of CSS. Here is the link:

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-articles.php

This site is great for learning the basics on CSS and a number of other languages:

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

Just click on learn CSS on the left.

Very cool. Thanks for your help and everyone else that's chimed in. I trully appreciate it.

So...if you're putting these in an order of importance to learn....

Basic Dreamweaver
CSS
PHP
Then design software...(Fireworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc.)

Does that seem like a logical approach to getting serious about web design?

Thanks again, like I said, I trully appreciate it.

Jittor
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I think is depends on the person.

For me, My full time job is Graphic Design so I had the design part down. It seemed to help me the most when I started creating graphics for my websites, which was when I first got into DW. So, they kinda went hand in hand. I would say your order for coding is good, but playing around with Photoshop in between will help too.

That's just me though. Remember, when you get stuck, just post your problem and we will always be here to help. Learning site are great but when you can't ask questions you just kinda get stuck.

domedia
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
DWC need a CSS tutorial on a basic 2 or 3 column site. I would do it but I don't feel I am strong enough with CSS to do a tutorial. What do you think Dom? That would be very nice indeed. I still plan to make a 'wanted' list for tutorials, with some goodies included for authors.

Jittor
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
That would be very nice indeed. I still plan to make a 'wanted' list for tutorials, with some goodies included for authors.

Sounds nice. If you need any Photoshop tuts or Vids just let me know :)

domedia
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Always! expect to hear from me soon! :)