PDA

View Full Version : Uploading changes to template without uploading entire site?

fishugly
09-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Due to not knowing any different, to date, when I have made changes to my templates, I have been deleting then re-uploading my entire site. I have tried just uploading the templates but the changes do not carry over and I am not asked to "update" anything in "remote view" as I am in "local view". Hope I'm making some sense here.

How does one upload, to the remote host, changes made just to the templates without uploading the entire site?

domedia
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Your server does not run dwt files. Do all changes locally, and then just hit the update button, and changed files will be put on server. I don't use templates anymore, but wasn't it this easy?

fishugly
09-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Your server does not run dwt files. Do all changes locally, and then just hit the update button, and changed files will be put on server. I don't use templates anymore, but wasn't it this easy?

Yes, it is that easy.... when making changes to the content - make changes locally, connect to "remote host" and hit "put file". I do it all the time. Again though, that is just when I make changes to the "content", not the templates.

When I make changes to my templates locally, I am asked if I want to update all the other pages the template change will affect. I say "yes" and all is fine. Easy! But when I try to update just those template changes on the server ("remote host"), I am not asked if I want to update all the other files that will be affected by the template change. So, in essence, nothing changes. That's why I delete my entire site on the server then reload. Not that big a deal as it all works out in the end. I was just hoping there was a quicker way of doing it.

Thanks.

domedia
09-24-2007, 05:15 PM
You upload the html files changed by the template, not the template file. The template file is only for your local system.

fishugly
09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
You upload the html files changed by the template, not the template file.

That's still pretty much my entire site. ;-) That's ok though.

Thanks for your help. As always, it's appreciated.

domedia
09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I think you can skip the step about deleting your site before uploading though. That way it will only upload your changed files instead of all of them.

fishugly
09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I think you can skip the step about deleting your site before uploading though. That way it will only upload your changed files instead of all of them.

Alright. That'll surely save me some time.

Thanks again.