PDA

View Full Version : pop-up menus looking in template directory for links

Trevian
09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I created a website with several dozen pages that use a template with a pop-up navigation menu created in fireworks. when i preview the site from one of the pages based on the template, the links look in my template directory for the linked pages (and not the parent directory where they are located). I'm sure there is an easy fix for this but have not been able to find it....can anyone help. Thanks much.

edbr
09-20-2007, 01:53 AM
your paths are probably wrong

Trevian
09-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Realize the paths are incorrect, but not sure how they got that way. Typed the correct links while building the pop-ups in fireworks, and linked the other buttons directly to files in dreamweaver. It somehow adds the "template" directory to the path. Do I need to move all the other files to the template directory for it to work?

edbr
09-20-2007, 02:52 AM
why not try absolute links or link.../page.html.

Trevian
09-20-2007, 03:06 AM
have tried the ../page.html link, but it still adds the "template" subdirectory before the page link. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that the DWT file on which the page is based is located in the Template subdirectory of the site, even though the other pages are in the main site directory.

edbr
09-20-2007, 04:12 AM
yes I am sure it is. I havent worked with templates for ages but this is a common error. the link in the template has to be changed to outside the templates directory or every time you update it will change the link to the templates directory. I am sorry I cant be more accurate but this is why I left templates alone and "include files instead

Trevian
09-20-2007, 04:38 AM
I moved one file into the template directory and the link in the menu seems to work. Does anyone know of any problems of putting all the site files into the template directory?

domedia
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
The template file is supposed to reside in the 'Templates' directory. Did you double check your site definitions to make sure that you've specified the root of the site right?

If your menu from Fireworks uses JS to create links, I don't think DW's template system is able to dynamically change them, in which case you should probably use absolute links.

Trevian
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks domedia. I did check the site definition, which is set for the root directory. I did another site using basically the same methods and it works fine. The link field in the property inspector for that site shows a js link for the pop-up menus and the ../ for the single item menus. For some reason, the problem site is putting "template" before the linked page in the path. Can't figure out where that is coming from.

domedia
09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
ok, so this problem is isolated to Fireworks creating a menu that is not compatible with being in a Dreamweaver template file. Did you look at some other menus?

Trevian
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Looked in some of the children and "template" also appears in the path to some of the html files. I ccan edit the dwt file to take out the incorrect path, but unfortunately, i'm getting the error -43 when i try to save the template. Oddly enough, DW is looking in the root folder for the template and not in the template folder. Because of that error, it is not updating the children of that template. Have also tried to update via Modify>Templates> update pages, but get the same problem in that it can't find the dwt file.

Trevian
09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Looked in some of the children and "template" also appears in the path to some of the html files. I ccan edit the dwt file to take out the incorrect path, but unfortunately, i'm getting the error -43 when i try to save the template. Oddly enough, DW is looking in the root folder for the template and not in the template folder. Because of that error, it is not updating the children of that template. Have also tried to update via Modify>Templates> update pages, but get the same problem in that it can't find the dwt file.

domedia
09-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Like I said earlier, it seems the FW menu is not compatible with your DW template system.