PDA

View Full Version : Browser logo

Redback
09-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I want to include an image for my site (redbackwebstudio.com) up in the upper-most left-hand corner, you know where the banks and others put their company logo, etc.

If anyone knows how this is achieved, let me know please.

Regards to all

d a v e
09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.degraeve.com/favicon/ is one place

incidentally i thought this was quite funny
"You'll be surprised which sites don't make the grade. All we're saying is: that if we were building motor cars, we'd include seat belts!"

especially when you enter this url http://redbackwebstudio.com/ into the validator :) (Failed validation, 102 Errors)

sounds like your sear belts might break a bit too easily ;)

domedia
09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
The right name is FavIcon.
If you have Photoshop, this extension will let you save files as .ICO
http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/

Make a 16x16 graphic and just save as favicon.ico and put in the root directory of your website.

Maybe I should write a a tutorial on this come weekend?

davidj
09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
you need to revisit this site

you shouldnt have a preloader for a banner for a start. You cant throw stones in glass house's or compare other sites using automobile metaphors.

Obviously, the older applications (i. e. Word, Publisher, FrontPage) cannot meet this test criteria and therefore thousands (maybe millions) of web sites do not come up to scratch.
There again, a lot of web designers have this technology available to them, but fail to make full use of it. We hope they will forgive us for pointing it out! But, guys, we're not sorry.

Err you cant use words like this when your site breaks every rule

this is a classic case of wizard driven web site creation.

Redback
09-20-2007, 03:54 AM
davidj,
I guessed that I was doing the right thing with the preloader because from where I'm from that flash file can take a bit of time downloading - and this was there to let viewers know that something was taking place.

I like to know why it is not a good idea. Let me know.

Redback
09-20-2007, 03:57 AM
Thanks Domedia. I've looked at that site and get the idea. Photoshop is next on the shopping list.

Redback
09-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Dave,

Yeah. 102 errors - a bit of a worry. The original site had no errors, then I added a flash file (as a banner) and everything went berserk. The most worrying is when validating via CS3 with 'embed', yet nothing crops up with W3C validator in that regard. I'm not sure what's going on - but you'll see some improvements and soon I hope.

Redback
09-20-2007, 04:05 AM
davidj,

You mean to tell me there is a 'wizard' that will do all the work?

I'd like to see that!

Redback
09-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Dave,

I have just gotten home to where CS3 is, and checked the CS3 Validation and the only results/errors it comes us with is:

The tag name "embed" Not found in currently active versions. [XHTML Version 1.0 transitional].

This error appeared on each page where a Flash file (the banner/header) occurs and twice on the 'Flash' page of redbackwebstudio.com.

So now I'm wondering if Adobe and W3C actually talk to each other about validation of this sort because my nine errors is a whole lot less than 102 that the W3C suggests. And from memory I don't think the embed gets a mention in W3C's validation - there were too many to read at that stage!

Do you have any clues why this would be so?

Regards

davidj
09-20-2007, 09:28 AM
i don't hang around a site waiting to see what the banner looks like

if a banner is that large in size it requires a preloader then its not worth having. Your banner adds nothing to the quality of the site.

in Dreamweaver almost every button you press invokes a wizard dialog in order to add the element to your site.

domedia
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Redback, there's no such thing as an 'embed' tag in the w3s's specification for HTML, that is what it is complaining about. If code validation is important for you, you can search for 'flash satay' which is a technique to get around this. If code validation is not important to you then it's not a big deal :)

Redback
09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
davidj,

Thanks for your 'comment', but you haven't mentioned why a preloader is not a good idea.

I asked "I like to know why it is not a good idea. Let me know." and frankly your personal opinions don't, and possibly never will, cut it.

I have run this site on both dial-up and ADSL connections, obviously the ADSL coming on strong and you hardly even get to see the preloader.

If you think that your statement "i don't hang around a site waiting to see what the banner looks like" is true, you are going to be one lonely little boy on the Internet, because absolutely heaps, and I mean HEAPS, of sites use this method. Just have a look at telstra.com, adobe.com, anz.com.au. Need I go on?

On top of the fact that the rest of the pages load first and one doesn't have to 'hang around' waiting.

Congratulations, you've just made a dick of yourself.

Must be real easy to become a Diamond Member! Which member?

And you needn't bother crying in your bowl of Farex and complaining, I'm out of here.

davidj
09-22-2007, 07:23 PM
hehe

idiot

rocking in a corner giving himself a hug no doubt

domedia
09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Closing this thread now, nothing good coming out of it :-/