PDA

View Full Version : Text jumping when cursor rolled over

wolf
09-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi folks, please excuse a newbie if this has been discussed before.

I have a site at www.mccleaningcompany.co.uk (http://www.mccleaningcompany.co.uk) which uses a free Dreamweaver template. Some of the text seems to jump slightly when the cursor is rolled over. It looks very odd and I wondered if there was a way to get rid of it?

Thanks

gmcrone
09-15-2007, 05:38 AM
In your CSS file change text-decoration underline to text-decoration none

The underline is causing the jumping because it is adding more space to the page.

Mike..

wolf
09-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Mike, thanks for the info.

I changed every text entry in the CSS to 'no decoration' as you stated, but if you look at the 'key personnel' column when those entries are rolled over they still move?

Maybe I didn't follow your instructions properly, in which case please tell me where I went wrong?

thanks for your help.

gmcrone
09-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry, but your page is such a mish-mash it is very hard to follow your source code.
You have in-line styles, depreciated tags (<font>), plus a linked style sheet, nested spans, etc that it makes it very difficult to comprehend.

Take all your style info and put it in your style sheet, remove all the depreciated tags, and clean up the nesting so you can see what is effecting what.

Example: around Michael you have 4 nested spans, font tags, line-height in-line styles, etc. Make one style for how you want to have this appear and use it.
Parts of your nested spans say to use bold text, other parts normal text.

By cleaning up your page, the problem you are having should disappear.

Mike...

wolf
09-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Mike, you are absolutely right - what a mess! (hangs head in shame....)

I've taken off the CSS completely while I spend more time on here learning the ropes, and then I'll revisit the site and try again. What do they say ..'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..'?

And to think I was actually hoping how to link a database with ASP - maybe in 2009!

Jittor
09-18-2007, 04:35 PM
ASP....brother your in for a world of hurt if your going that rout. Why not PHP?

wolf
09-18-2007, 07:50 PM
A perfectly reasonable question Jittor - I suppose the answe is that with ASP I may have a fleeting chance of being able to change the odd item, whereas with PHP I'll be completely lost?