PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver + WAMP + mm_ServerScripts

bluemoon2007
09-13-2007, 11:58 PM
HELP!!!

I'm using Windows XP, Dreamweaver MX 2004 and WAMP (Apache server for windows, PHP and mySQL).

I'm collaborating on a PHP/mySQL site with a programmer and was hoping to be able to test pages on my local server before uploading to the host that we share.

I started off using IIS as my personal server but had all sorts of problems so I switched to WAMP, which I like better overall.

However, now I have a coding mess. When I edited a PHP page in Dreamweaver, it messed up the javascript attachment by embedding the javascript (not good) and then forced all kinds of bad code in the document.

The problem seems to stem from mm_ServerScripts. How can I avoid this mess? Can I turn that off and still view PHP/mySQL pages in Dreamweaver????

I'm a visual person and rely on Dreamweaver and would love to resolve this issue. Please help.

davidj
09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
how have you built this site?

have you used dreamweavers built in wizards to write the code

bluemoon2007
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
No, I didn't write the PHP script. My partner did the coding for this site and I was hoping to edit the HTML in Dreamweaver.

Is that possible without using mm_ServerScripts? Can I still view PHP pages in Dreamweaver and test pages without the mm_ServerScripts messing up his PHP and Javascript coding?

davidj
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
it sounds to me like your partner used dreamweaver to write the script using the built in functionality.

im guessing that mm_ServerScripts is something that monitors the built in code snippets

im also guessing that its corrupt. either the script, the code or dreamweaver

if this was handcoded then i dont think you would have this problem as DW wouldnt rely on this script but as i keep saying dont use the wizards because you will run into problems like this.

im thinking you will need to revisit this code and write it manualy. You could try to reinstall DW but im not saying it would resolve it.

I'm collaborating on a PHP/mySQL site with a programmer

if the programmer used the DW wizards tell him/her to think of a different job title like merlin or gandalf. Not Programmer!

bluemoon2007
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
You misunderstood me. My partner is writing the PHP and Javascript code manually. He's a programmer. I'm not a programmer.

So, I was hoping to edit the HTML portions of his PHP pages in Dreamweaver but Dreamweaver is messing up his code. :(

I guess I can't use Dreamweaver to edit his pages.

davidj
09-14-2007, 03:48 PM
yes you can

it depends on how he wrote the code. If, as you say, he hand coded the script you wont be able to manipulat his code and by using the drag-n-drop functionality you may have disrupted his code which is cause you the errors

im not sure how to resolve this other than he revisits his code to see if you have knocked something out. I have never had this problem as i hand code everything. He need to see if anything is a miss.

oh ... tell him to forgive the gandalf remark as he is a programmer and will be spitting feathers at me for that remark..

Respect!

bluemoon2007
09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't want to change his PHP or Javascript code.

I was just hoping to be able to edit the HTML and view the PHP pages and mySQL in Dreamweaver without touching his code.

But I can't seem to be able to do that without hurting his code so I can't work on his pages in Dreamweaver unless it's not in a PHP testing environment.

davidj
09-14-2007, 04:11 PM
its a mine field when dealing with dynamic code

if you work on code together and you dabble in HTML the ask him if he has heard of smarty

its allot safer this way

bluemoon2007
09-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I doubt he'd be interested in changing his techniques and I need to work around his preferences.

I wish there was a better way to work in Dreamweaver this way.