PDA

View Full Version : Need help with publishing

zdhwmnb
09-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I need help with publishing my website on the web. What all do I need? What is an FTP and host??? and is there anyway I can I get free domain names?:confused:

Torin
09-05-2007, 02:24 AM
Welcome to the world of web design. :)

A host is an internet company that provides... well, hosting. Let's say you register the domain name zdhwmnb.com. They'll make it so that when somebody types your domain into their address bar, it goes to your home page. A host will also give you access to the public_htm folder, the cgi-bin, and will usually throw in a couple of perks to get you to register with them.

ftp is a mode of communication between your computer and your website. You can transfer files and images using ftp. Say you make a site in Dreamweaver, and you want to upload it to your server. An easy way to do this is ftp access.

You can get a free domain name through several hosting companies. The downside is that your domain will be preceded by theirs, such as http://freewebs.com/yourdomainname. It is also harder to make a good website, since you often don't have the option to create, edit and access your folders.

Have fun getting started. It's a whole new world, so don't be overwhelmed by the information overload. Just take it in stride, and you'll come out of it fine.