PDA

View Full Version : NavBar/Menu gone in browser preview if ActiveX/Java enabled

ww1aero
09-02-2007, 06:41 AM
NavBar/Menu gone in browser preview if ActiveX/Java enabled
Hi, I'm building my first site in Dreamweaver MX (a personal business site). I inserted a NavBar / Menu created in Xara Webstyle 4, using the Dreamweaver "insert / Webstyle 4" menu option. (It allows Xara Webstyle 4 to directly place created items into a Dreamweaver local site page).

The Menu Bar shows up in Dreamweaver. It also shows up initially in Dreamweaver's Browser preview too, but if I click on a pop-up window to allow Java/Active X controls (so I can test mouse rollover & drop down menus) the Menu Bar immediately disappears from sight (not site). I'm guessing I'm not seeing something simple that I have to do, but I'm new to this and haven't read much code.

If it's relevant to this problem, I'm using non-overlaping layers to lay out the site, and will convert to tables when finished.

I have all needed files saved within the Dreamweaver root folder, so everything’s in one place.

Any Ideas? Thanks..............Pete

I've included a partial screen shot, showing the Menu Bar in the Browser Preview, just before it would disappear if I clicked the YES "enable Active Content" button.

davidj
09-02-2007, 11:42 AM
try viewing this live

upload all the pages to your host space and view the page through your browser not dreamweaver. There is a bug with dreamweaver and its live view and activeX

ww1aero
09-06-2007, 12:41 AM
:grin: try viewing this live

upload all the pages to your host space and view the page through your browser not dreamweaver. There is a bug with dreamweaver and its live view and activeX

Ahhh! Thanks very much David. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I was off line for a few days.

That explains a lot, and I probably would have never heard that from Xara's tech support. I can't test it right away though, since I don't have a remote server yet. I was going to try to put everything together on my "local" files first and pre-test it before uploading to a server. So much for that idea. Now I realize I'll have to decide on my host server, start up loading and test as I go.

You have truly helped preserve my sanity, so my family and dog will be thankful as well.

ww1aero
09-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I have since tried playing around with things a little more, and got the Nav Bar working in the Dreamweaver "browser preview".

I placed the Nav Bar / Menu in it's own little layer instead of having it share a larger layer with a jpeg image file. For some reason this worked and now all functions of the Nav Bar / Menu work in the preview browser.

But like David mentioned, I'm not going to count on the browser preview, I will start testing on a live server as well.