PDA

View Full Version : Info on full dynamic data display and sorting

garp2100
08-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Good Day everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew of any books or websites (I would prefer a book that I could get through Amazon or similar site) that explains not only how to display data from a SQL database on a page but also that lets you sort it, lets say, by a particular field and also by a search engine of sorts. I've gotten down the part with server behaviors where I can display data and page it with navigational arrows, now I just need a functionality where users can narrow down the search by either a search engine or by dropdown menu, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

davidj
08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
what language are you coding this in

garp2100
08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm really sorry, I overlooked this very important detail. I'm programming in classic ASP.
Thanks

davidj
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
we arnt very asp savy here

sorry

ever fancied looking into PHP

garp2100
08-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I have and it's something that I"m willing to learn, but my company's website is already built in ASP and hosted on an ASP server so that pretty much leaves me an option. But I was only wondering if anyone had ever come across a great book or website where they dwell deep into data display and sorting...even if it's a PHP book (I guess I could find it's ASP counterpart)
Thanks!

davidj
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
not sure on asp

im sure someone will come along and advise

do you handcode your asp now because i can give you an idea how its done

garp2100
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a page with the Dreamweaver ASP generated code for the simple display and sorting but any input from you guys will be helpful!

davidj
08-31-2007, 08:08 PM
if you dont know how to code then explaining how i would do it in php would be usless as you couldnt translate it