PDA

View Full Version : Apache

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 07:19 AM
If I download Apache, does it become a server of sorts on my machine or??

I need it but don't know a lot about it yet.

edbr
08-28-2007, 08:29 AM
yes but look at a complete package of apache php and mysql. there are several self installing packages. I use apache2triad and used to use xxamp both are ok.
Davidj recommends wamp I think

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 08:38 AM
I am so stuck. It is hard for me to put here what I need answered.
What is apache?
Why is it being used in the tutorial in conjunction with Dreamweaver?
What is apaches purpose with DW?
Is Apache a server on my computer now or a program?
Do I upload it to something.
Why did I need to have it?
Thank you edbr for your help. I have the Apache2triad . At least this is the one I downloaded.

edbr
08-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Apache is a server. most web hosting is on an apache server.
the packages i mentioned will set up a server on your computer so you can test your site locally before going live with it using the same system you will encounter with your live site.

When using php and databases this is quite important for testing de-bugging.

when setting up a site with DW you can assign your testing server to the htdocs folder ( with apache2triad) using local network.
when you then 'put' your web pages DW will upload your files to your local server and you can see them in your browser(s).

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I am running Windows XP on my computer. Is this ok?

domedia
08-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Kymberly, it might be that you're trying to go too far right now. Do you have a basic understanding of Dreamweaver?

What you are trying to do with Apache involves server side programming, and unless you are comfortable with HTML/CSS, you're jumping too far ahead.

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I have been studying web design for toooo long to say {out loud}. I made a site a long time ago. My next assgnmnt is to reproduce it in DW.... Also to provide 5 or so extra templates that could be utilized.

I am 3 weeks late with this. I am desperately doing my best to work it out. Home study. Researching, then researching my research, getting lost, going back, getting lost again, asking questions, researching, asking more questions, downloading, installing, tutorials, emailing. Gasping for air. Craving a coffee.

You know. Normal stuff.

(The tutorial on Dreamweaver uses apache. To understand the tutorial or have my work go remotely similar I have to do it all the same..)

domedia
08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
ok, I think it's time for some details.
1. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Give urls, examples, links etc.
2. Are you sure you need a local server? It is not needed to develop a site in Dreamweaver.

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I can't give you URL's as it is something in my computer.
A soccer site that was made with HTML. No programs, just coding by hand.

This was about a year or more ago.

I am supposed to reproduce the entire site in Dreamweaver.

So I needed to learn to use Dreamweaver, which I have not used before.

So I was doing some tutorials online. They were video tutorials. To be able to understand the Dreamweaver tutorial teaching I realized that I didn't have apache server, which was on the tutorial. There were other tutorials that told you where to get apache from. So I did. Someone helped me install it.

So, now I am thinking, FINALLY! I can do the tutorial and it will all make sense. BUT... I can't get apache to open the same way that it looks on the tutorial.

It appears to have a URL in an address bar of FF. So there must be something I have neglected to do. Of course apache is installed and I am trying to open the control panel of Apache2triad.

Nothing is working and I don't want to start walking down another path. I just want to stay on this path and get it done. Every time I go a way that is thought to be easier it is the same. More to do, more to research and I get nowhere ... absolutely nowhere... for days and I am studying over 12 hours a day so you can imagine how frustrating it is...

domedia
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't worry about apache now Kymberly, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. Programming or setting up a local server is *not* required to redo a site in Dreamweaver, you've been mislead by sneaky tutorials (I hope it wasn't one of ours.)

You can use apache during development if you want to, but it's absolutely not needed. Actually, nothing you've said so far warrants any kind of local server running.
There, I just saved you heaps of time! 8)

gmcrone
08-29-2007, 04:20 AM
If all you want to do is use Dreamweaver to edit the site......

FTP to your site.
Download the entire site to your hard drive into a sub-directory named "soccer" or whatever.
Open Dreamweaver
Select site management, new site, and use the newly created sub-directory as your local version.

Mike...

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 04:34 AM
That all sound very easy. Are you telling be that this reproduces the whole site in Dreamweaver? So it becomes template based?

edbr
08-29-2007, 04:45 AM
all a site is at it basic level is a number of files in folders. by downloading your site to a folder on your computer you are making a local copy of it.
it does not save it in dreamweaver . DW is your editing program.
template ? only if you want to use templates.
I think you should make your self a test site. practice and making mistakes will make some of this clearer

gmcrone
08-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Templates basically have to be started from scratch.
You can however open the index.htm(?) file, save it as index2.htm, then delete all the content and just put placeholder text, images,nav bars, etc in place.
Then save it as a template.
It will save it in a subdirectory called templates(?) as a dwt file (dreamweaver template)

Mike...

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Thank you for your advice. This afternoon and into the evening I intend to do nothing more than tutorials in DW and such. I am learning about apache also. I need to get into photo shop and flash as it all seems to go hand in hand. It is cramming time for me.
I definitely understand more today than I did yesterday thanks to some GREAT help.
Thank you again edbr, Mike and all!

edbr
08-29-2007, 05:30 AM
I need to get into photo shop and flash save some time in the afternoon for chinese lessons:)
one step at a time kimberly

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 06:32 AM
It's just all so EXCITING!

Soad
08-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Try a Linux distro,they can be downloaded free & most come with Apache installed

www.distrowatch.com

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks for that, I will take a look. Appreciate the advice.

Soad
08-29-2007, 07:47 AM
My personal choice is Open Suse but there are many to choose from but a good choice for beginnerís coming to Linux is Ubuntu

Ubuntu is very easy to use & you can even use a programme called Wine which will allow some Windows software to be installed on Linux, I tried Dreamweaver MX2004 and it works fine.

Have fun

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
There is so much out there that I have never heard of before. I need to hang around this forum more. Thank you for your help.

davidj
08-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Try a Linux distro,they can be downloaded free & most come with Apache installed

Soad
your bombarding a user with technical babble.

Kymberly.. Improve your web development skills first before adopting a new operating system like linux...

your a long way off choosing a different O/S as this is not your prime objective. Learn Dreamweaver then the languages behind the scenes. Once you have these skills you can then evaluate different operating systems if you feel Windows doesnt quite fullfill your operating system requirements...

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
I am extending my gratitude with the help I am receiving here from everyone. I must say, I do have my hands full at the moment and see myself working through the night but I am really keen to get a grip on the new things I am learning so they become more fluent.

Thanks for keeping an eye on me. I appreciate your support, very much.