PDA

View Full Version : New to DC and DW

Kymberly
08-27-2007, 04:44 AM
I wonder if anyone has some time to help me out with the program Dreamweaver. I am studying and need to ask quite a few Questions and don't want to fill the forum with ifs and buts.

I have done some of the tutorials on Youtube and this discusses some things but not the things I need to know. I really need to speak to someone who has some time on their hands. Pleeeeezzzzeeee.

neonfluxx
08-27-2007, 04:46 AM
check your private mesage. just sent you a pm

domedia
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Kymberly, the reason those if's and but's are good for the forum is that 90% of the people in here read other peoples posts and suggestions. It becomes a repository of knowledge in a way. By taking it into private, you've effectively blocked anyone to learn anything from your questions.

By using the forum, you have access to the synergy of the forum members, instead of relying on one persons knowledge as well.

Kymberly
08-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Thank you Domedia for your advice and I understand completely where you are coming from. I am sorry I took my prior comment pm and now I feel like a complete idiot which is what I was trying to avoid by not putting in my many if's and but's.

I appreciate where you are coming from. I do feel tired of divulging my inadequacies as I feel like a complete idiot that just doesn't 'get' things.

Does everyone really need to know how completely thick I am? I feel so stupid.

domedia
08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Look at it this way:
There's probably other people that feel just like you. :)
By asking here in the forum, you give them the opportunity to learn something from this as well. This is a community where we learn from each other.

kittyprrrs
08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Kymberly, please know that there are many in this forum, have been designing for many years....and we are STILL asking questions. It's not that we are "thick" or "fools" but....we all just get stuck sometimes and need a third eye that is fresh to see what the problem is. Never ever, feel that your questions are an impression on you. We all started exactly where you are right now and because of forums like these, have helped us progress as designers. Please, always remember...no question is a stupid question....

With this in mind, please enjoy learning here at the Dreamweaver Club and welcome to this wonderful group of people's circle!

Kymberly
08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for you advice. I feel like I can ask just about anything here, maybe it is my age holding me back. I feel like all you young ones have it in a bag and frankly would inevitably end up :roll: ... at me.

I do however need a lot of help. At 39 I think your confidence begins to shake some.

Thank you for your kind words. Will keep it all in mind.

edbr
08-28-2007, 01:52 AM
At 39 I think your confidence begins to shake some.
Ha!! still a baby!! I had not even usd a compter at that tender age

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 02:06 AM
There is hope for me then. It just seems to take so very long to learn such a little bit..

kittyprrrs
08-28-2007, 04:42 AM
i'm 35! going on 36!....but my fans think i am 25...i guess that's kinda nice...but kinda funny when they see me with my daughter.....i get a big kick at tot lot!

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 05:48 AM
And know then what I know now... Now I do sound old!
You can see by my avatar, I am in my office,studying and studying ( this is where I am in the pic ) and then when I need a break I study and when I get bored I study. I even have a photo of me sitting near a fire on a farm with my family having a bar-b-q, with my HTML, XHTML and CSS Bible....Studying...
Life is full and exciting for me...?! (help)

domedia
08-28-2007, 02:35 PM
At 39.. I bet you my kids are older than yours 8)

So what happened to that question of yours?

Kymberly
08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Hmmm, Well I have been known to ramble.

Ok, I am currently trying to work out why I can't get Apache to open as a 'server' on my computer. More to the point, I am trying to work out if it is meant to be a server, then, should I have it on the same computer.. AND.. Why can I not get it to open so it looks like it does in the tutorials I am doing???
I have been at this allllll day and evening. I have gotten no where. Thicky, thick of Thicksville.

Why can I not simply have someone I can get out of the cupboard to fix these things when I need??? Why does it take so long to get no further ahead??

Oh, and if that is you in the Avatar, I doubt your kids are 39! If they are, stay by the pool, it is working.

davidj
08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
we are age twins!!!!

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 12:31 AM
GREAT! Now.... If we can just get the brains functioning the same. Got any memory you don't want?

gmcrone
08-29-2007, 05:13 AM
When you open a web browser and type in:
http://localhost

What do you get ??

Mike (who is fifty-eight)

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Fortunately for me, a wonderful person saved me and I now have apache installed and am practicing using it through tutorials.
Thank you for looking my way with your good intentions.
It is soooo nice when things begin to happen.
I hope at 58 I know just a tad more about everything. I hope it all doesn't change too much, when I finally get there, or, will I ever? Get there I mean...?

edbr
08-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Mike you dancer! I was beginning to think i was the only one who cant remember what i was doing in the 60's.

gmcrone
08-29-2007, 05:56 AM
I was at Berkely in the 60's, and I can't remember much.....:mrgreen:

Mike...

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 05:58 AM
You guys are funny. I wasn't born till 67 so I guess I missed all the fun stuff.

gmcrone
08-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Kymberly,
You mean you missed the whole sexual revolution of the 60's???

Well, maybe your parents didn't....

I miss the old days of bra burning....:lol:

Mike....

edbr
08-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Thank heavens for flashbacks

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 07:34 AM
oh boy, don't get me started! Very funny indeed.

Newin
08-29-2007, 01:50 PM
:-DAsk your questions....

Kymberly
08-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok, I have a question. I have started doing tutorials re dreamweaver and apache on my laptop. Unfortunately due to a 257MB (ouch) RAM everything is running slow. I have a desktop here that I haven't been using that has 512MB of RAM. (I didn't know all the details before I started doing the tutorials)...
Anyway I was wondering (as I would like to utilize photo shop and Flash...eventually) (I know I have to get more RAM soon, am planning on 2 GB and I know 2GB is not much) if there was some way of transferring my already loaded files of DW and apache to the desktop.
Do you think this is possible without ruining everything I have already done?

I just wondered if I could somehow pick up everything and shift it to the other computer.. so to say?

I know I could network them but my cord broke and I thought there might be an easy way to transfer it all..? I hope this is not a stupid question, just that I know when something loads folders get put everywhere...If this is a stupid thing to ask just ignore it please and sorry in advance.

Andromeda
08-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Kymberley. I didn't realise there were so many "old" people here. I thought most people were spring chickens and that I was one of the few "old" people. Seems I was wrong!!

davidj
08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
its not old its experienced

Kymberly
09-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Thank you for your welcome AND you guys are too funny!

gmcrone
09-01-2007, 05:02 AM
There are several ways to do this.
First thing to do is write down the directory structure of your current notebook, especially where your sites are.
Then open site manager and export your site definitions to a file (very important)
Then zip up all your sites and burn to a cd if you have one including the exported site definition file
If you cant burn to cd then you can upload this zip file to a web site you have
available. You don't need to put a link to it or anything on your site, just put it in the root directory of the site.
(to get this file later, just open your browser and enter http://www.mysite.com/zipfilename.zip and it will download it)
Now, on your new desktop computer, install dreamweaver, apache, Mysql, php, etc.
Recreate you directory structure from your laptop
Download your zip file or use the burned cd to transfer the files to your desktop and place them into the subdirectories for your sites.
Open the site manager in dreamweaver and IMPORT the site definition file.
TADA, your back in business.

Mike...

Ok, I have a question. I have started doing tutorials re dreamweaver and apache on my laptop. Unfortunately due to a 257MB (ouch) RAM everything is running slow. I have a desktop here that I haven't been using that has 512MB of RAM. (I didn't know all the details before I started doing the tutorials)...
Anyway I was wondering (as I would like to utilize photo shop and Flash...eventually) (I know I have to get more RAM soon, am planning on 2 GB and I know 2GB is not much) if there was some way of transferring my already loaded files of DW and apache to the desktop.
Do you think this is possible without ruining everything I have already done?

I just wondered if I could somehow pick up everything and shift it to the other computer.. so to say?

I know I could network them but my cord broke and I thought there might be an easy way to transfer it all..? I hope this is not a stupid question, just that I know when something loads folders get put everywhere...If this is a stupid thing to ask just ignore it please and sorry in advance.

Kymberly
09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi Mike,
Thank You! This is going to save me a lot of fussing. Why on earth did I not think of this?? I really am completely stupid. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Torin
09-05-2007, 12:58 AM
A young pup's turn. :)

No need to keep calling yourself stupid. It makes people appreciate giving you information if you just say, "Hey, thanks. Didn't think of that... you rock!" You'll make them feel good, and you'll probably learn more from them, too.

More questions?

Kymberly
09-05-2007, 06:28 AM
oh, well I have to remember that. (Don't you ever feel stupid when you know you should have thought of something and you didn't?) Do I keep calling myself stupid? Thats not good hey.

Well... You guys do rock and have been fantastic and I have had nothing but positive from here.

No more questions for now. Just loads of tutorials to do and mounds of appreciation for all the great help.

Kymberly