PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Link to detail page

mwb2069
08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Just looking for some help, not coding, for a site I'm planning. I want keywords in my articles to be hyperlinks that link to the record in the database that they are associated with.

For example, if you view espn.com, and you click on any article of theirs, they will put a person's name or a team's name as a hyperlink in an article in mid-sentence that links to the "detail page" in the database.

For example... "Michael Vick's dog fighting drew criticism from the Atlanta Falcons on Monday."

Perhaps I am overcomplicating this. But it doesnt seem realistic to me that some sports write for ESPN knows how to create a hyperlink to a dynamic page.

How do I go about doing something like this in theory?

Are they just manually linking and they know the player and team to the parameter (ID) address.... www.espn.com/?id=1234 (http://www.espn.com/?id=1234)

Do they have some kind of alphabetical list of names that they drag and drop on screen that automatically creates a hyperlink?

Is there a way to make this dynamic by dragging and dropping the dynamic {player.name} code?

How is this done?

Thanks for any help.

davidj
08-24-2007, 09:56 PM
its done by having a keyword table in a database

you would administer this yourself by adding the keyword and url

the scripting language builds the links for you by looking in the table and matching the keyword. When its found it builds the link

this is bordering on intermediate programming

domedia
08-24-2007, 09:57 PM
They use/built a server application (CMS) that will generate the links and pages automatically. All websites of any size are built these ways, you can't justify to manually edit pages if you plan for it to have any size.

mwb2069
08-24-2007, 10:07 PM
thank you both for taking the time...very helpful

davidj
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
no problem mw

welcome to the forum