PDA

View Full Version : Editable Area

indianleo
08-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Hello friends,
How to Lock editable content and how to unlock some editable area

domedia
08-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Go to your DWT fie and remove/create editable areas. It will create chaos, so I wouldn't.

jenpen
06-26-2011, 02:10 AM
You're dead right, I tried it. Lucky I had a back-up.
Never using templates again!

jmichae3
06-26-2011, 04:44 AM
I usually stick with one big editable area.
I use templates, but with caution.
I use the templates to build new pages only, not for site maintainability, because if I make a change to a template such as you are deascriging, or some other change such as moving some stuff around within an editable area, I can't control what that template is going to do to the rest of my pages! I am an engineer, and I want control!

backgrounder: I use an XML-based system I devised to build/maintain my menus and upload my pages. it works for VERY large sites.

- even though dw requests to, I don't allow dw to to update "the rest of my pages" when I change a template. that's asking for trouble and massive re-edits of my work.

- adding and removing editable areas is something I never wanted to experiment with. I have a backup, but my backup isn't pure right now. I don't like experimenting THAT much with my live data. I could do it, but see above: I am NOT going to allow it to update/ruin the rest of my site!

- templates have their usefulness. but I wish I didn't HAVE to use dw's regions. it would be nice if I could use a straight HTML file. in fact, I may just put this as a feature request for dreamweaver. non-dw-markedup templates.

(https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform)

DWcourse
06-26-2011, 05:07 AM
I'm really curious about what you mean by this:

templates have their usefulness. but I wish I didn't HAVE to use dw's regions. it would be nice if I could use a straight HTML file.

DWcourse
06-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Templates are like any other tool, you should understand them before you use them. When you're working with something that has the potential to change every page on your site, you want to be careful.

Generally adding an editable region isn't usually an issue. Deleting an editable region is going to be an issue.

Also, optional and optional editable regions are very useful.

I like to use a combination of Templates (ease of creating new pages and occasional updates) along with includes for menus, copyright info, etc. But for very large sites I'd recommend a CMS (and a whole new set of complications).

jmichae3
06-27-2011, 01:06 AM
dw requires on all templates (.dwt's) to have dw-specific template code in it, and during the process of working with a site and building the cache or something, dw will change the resulting page and insert special code that dreamweaver interprets. I want something that doesn't touch my resulting html files. essentially, it would want a file copy, but much easier since it's from a menu of templates.

thanks for the tips, I may yet experiment with that in a controlled environment (separate test site).

as for my site, a CMS I don't think would work too well for something with more than 700 pages. then you start getting into breadcrumb menus, and I don't know of a CMS that does those, so I generally ignore CMS's. tree menu systems started making the pages become 104k each just for the menus.

DWcourse
06-27-2011, 01:19 AM
dw requires on all templates (.dwt's) to have dw-specific template code in it, and during the process of working with a site and building the cache or something, dw will change the resulting page and insert special code that dreamweaver interprets. I want something that doesn't touch my resulting html files. essentially, it would want a file copy, but much easier since it's from a menu of templates.

It sounds like you could accomplish what you want by creating a file with the structure you want and, when you want a new page, just opening that files and selecting Save As…

Of course, in the future you'd have to apply any updates to every page. Although you could overcome that to a large degree with selective use of include files for the areas that are likely to change (menus, header and footer, etc.)

Basically Dreamweaver inserts comments into the template and pages made from templates that define the editable regions. I can't imagine how you could do that without inserting some kind of code. Unless you edit the template to insert or delete additional editable regions, the only changes DW will make to files is when you change and save a locked region on the template itself.

as for my site, a CMS I don't think would work too well for something with more than 700 pages. then you start getting into breadcrumb menus, and I don't know of a CMS that does those, so I generally ignore CMS's. tree menu systems started making the pages become 104k each just for the menus.

Large sites are precisely what Content Management Systems are for and most, if not all, can easily implement breadcrumbs. They also give you good control over your menus. It's really hard for me to imaging a page being over 100k because of the menus. Every CMS I know implements menus as unordered lists styled with CSS and, even if they throw in a bit of Javascript, that a very lightweight solution.