PDA

View Full Version : Wamp vs xampp vs alternative

kc104
08-18-2007, 05:03 PM
After an indirect question about xampp, DavidJ, administrator of this site kindly responded by telling me about Wamp. I am a complete newbi to all of this kind of stuff, so would anyone like to add some similar alternatives to that list, and add their favorite. Which one is most user friendly / stable and most powerful and so on.

davidj
08-19-2007, 02:12 AM
i like WAMP as i have used it regularly

I'm not saying its the best but its what I'm used to. basically they all do the same job and thats to install 3 apps on your machine with all the configs done for you. Thats it... nothing more to it really...

i like the way WAMP gives you a nice interface to all the config files. Everything is accessible in one area

A^1^T^E^A^M
08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
for me AppServ is the best :mrgreen:
AppServ 2.5.9

Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.2.3
MySQL 5.0.45
phpMyAdmin-2.10.2

kc104
08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Thankyou for all your help guys, I think I am going to start with XAMPP, i dont know if thats the right choice but hey if not then ill change. I found a comparison chart at this address (wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_WAMPs here it shows that XAMPP ticks all the boxes, including SQL lite manager - which looks quite good, anyone got any experience with using sqlLite manager

davidj
08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
i have played around with them (php web mysql IDE) and they are OK

I prefer EMS mysql manager as it runs like an app and leans its self to a more professional environment. Also i would give the command line ago aswell as this is a great way to brush up in your SQL syntax