PDA

View Full Version : right click disable

K.Simmonds
08-18-2007, 01:56 PM
I have right click disabled a lot of the photos on my web site, but I want to be able to click on them to enlarge the photo. Is there any way of right click disabling the large pop up photo as well ?

m1a2x3x7
08-18-2007, 05:27 PM
theres really no reason for you to disable right click. There are other ways to get the information and images if they need them. For example print screen. You might as well not worry about it.

davidj
08-19-2007, 01:24 AM
yes

M1 is correct

your wasting your time and if i found a site which disabled a tool i use i wouldnt hang about. Its very amature doing this

domedia
08-19-2007, 02:30 AM
There's so much functionality in the right click menu. I add several custom functions in there as well. When a web-duh-signer diables this, I either go into a fit and leave the site (never to come back *ever*), or I get into a fit, disable JS to get what I need done, and then to leave never ever to go back.

But that's just me. But usually if you constrain a user from using his browser, he will get *really* annoyed. 8) It's normally considered a basic usability no-no.

On the other hand, if you have right click disabled to stop people from dowloading photos, where's the logic? The photos are already downloaded.

If someone really wants your photos, and I assume it's these people you aim this at, they know how to get your photos anyways. That's what they do.

They either:
-Find your images in the cache of theirt browser
-Click the 'prnt scr' key
-disable JS to right click all they wan
-file->save webpage
-etc etc

Some people even get more interested in getting the photos if you disable right-click, because they think they've beat you just by doing it, or think that the photos are 'special' in some way.. who knows.

Didn't mean this to sound like a lecture 8) just needed to get it off my chest, I strongly disagree with the practice.

To answer your question:
Simply call the same JS in the pop-up window as you do in the regualr webapge to reuse the same JS.

Ricky55
08-19-2007, 05:20 AM
I totally agree with the comments above. I did this on one of my first sites and the amount of poeple that complained and laughed at what i'd done was unbelievable, in the end i removed it.

The only way to protect images is to watermark them with your company logo but even these could be removed in photoshop but at least thats a pain.

Domedia is right there are just so many ways to get the images anyway that preventing right click just seems petty and a feeble

domedia
08-19-2007, 07:24 AM
I mentioned in another thread that I've worked on a photographers website before. No watermarking, just large nice photos.

He doesn't mind anyone copying anything. But he caught 2 national companies using his photos in their print material, and they had to pay him a nice amount for him not to take them to court. Much more than if they had licensed the photos in the first place.

A^1^T^E^A^M
08-19-2007, 01:49 PM
if u disabled right click, there are more means to get this pictures...

1. PrtScSysRq
2. Select picture, and move to MSPAINT:lol:

Scorpios
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I wanted to disable right clicking just on our front start page graphics for my band's page. We have had some problems with unauthorized use and bootlegging in the past.

I do realize there are many ways around to still getting the image, even using software like Snagit that can snapshot the screen etc. I have heard a method of putting a transparent "image" over the actual images you want to protect, so when they are saved, all they get is a blank image. Anyone know anything on this?

I used the instructions from this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/nm/thehtmlsource/jazzup/javascript/norightclick.html

It seems to work in IE, but not Firefox. Any suggestions?

Here is the page:

http://www.postmortemcreations.com/crimsonmoon.html

edbr
08-28-2007, 12:50 AM
method of putting a transparent "image" over the actual images you want to protect, so when they are saved, all they get is a blank image. Anyone know anything on this?
i guess that means a layer over the image. the image source will still show in the source code. As for the javascript iwhat f the browser has javascript didsabled?

domedia
08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
a simple way is to browse a website you like, then image browse your browser cache. or if you're impatient, hit the 'prt scr' button. viola

A^1^T^E^A^M
08-29-2007, 08:33 PM
try with this script to forbidden right click, but its on full page:grin:
<script language=JavaScript1.2> function ejs_nodroit() { alert('Right-click is forbidden !!!'); return(false); } document.oncontextmenu = ejs_nodroit; </script>

domedia
08-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Why would anyone want to disable such a useful browser functionality? It's ridiculous imho.

kate
08-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Flash ie swf or .fla would make it more difficult but as all have said here there is no known cure for right click disabling. Even then there is software for Flash ..

Lets remember the two little but very powerful words we should think about before 'stealing images' that are copyrighted by the owners. It could mean a huge fine if they are caught on another web site but even that threat would'nt stop some people.

I always ask for any images I may need or I get them from Wilkipeadia where the owner has put them into the public domain to share.