PDA

View Full Version : checkout.php to a Credit Card process

m1a2x3x7
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I want to create a shopping cart. Kinda just for fun to say I can do it. Now in the check out part when they put in their CC information do you normally store that information into a database (encrypted)? Now I know its best to have a SSL but this is just practice.

Thank
-M

davidj
08-17-2007, 08:12 AM
only store it if they tick a "quick buy" option for later purchases

not sure legaly where you stand by storing the card info.

if they choose not to tick the quick buy option then you have to destroy the session after the purchase

m1a2x3x7
08-17-2007, 12:06 PM
so you would have to use a 3rd party online CC process? Can you incorporate your checkout with their machine?

Sorry the problem is I'm not getting the big picture.

Thanks
-M

davidj
08-17-2007, 02:07 PM
you can use a payment gateway (there are many) to process the payment but they skim off the top

carts like actinic just hold the payment info for you to what you like with. You can pass the order to a gateway like paypal or process the card info yourself if you had a machine

how you store the info is upto you but im not to sure how you would stand by keeping the payment history other than for tax purposes and that doesnt need a credit card number.

you have to apply to become a vendor for credit card processes and i think you would need to be VAT registered (UK)

i would never store card info unless it was a chosen feature of the site. some do some dont. Amazon do but they know the score and their liability insurance should cover any evil happenings

m1a2x3x7
08-17-2007, 03:51 PM
how would you be able to process the card yourself if you dont have the information stored?

domedia
08-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Because once you've run it, you don't need to store it if you don't want to. It doesn't need top be stored in a database in order to be run by your/their script.

Just like a contact form doesn't need to store all the values in a db in order for it to generate an email to you. You only store it if you need to keep it for later.

m1a2x3x7
08-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok so how do I get it from my script (check out) to my credit card machine?

I understand that once I process their card I don't need the number anymore. But its the time between them checking out and me processing the card. Do I have to create a script that processes the card?

domedia
08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
If you need the number to process the card at a later point, you might need to store it.