PDA

View Full Version : Defining and editing a site

milhouse
08-16-2007, 03:32 PM
OK, so I'm new to DW and trying to learn as I go, but I was hoping you guys could help me with a question that has me stumped.

I took over responsibilities for a site that was developed with Dreamweaver 8, which is the same version that I am using. I copied the site's root folder from the host server to my desktop and defined it as a new site in DW. However, when I open up a page to edit it, all the links such as images, jscript, the page template, etc. are broken with lots of yellow invalid code. Yet, if I make a change to the page, and upload it back to the server, everything looks fine.

In the properties inspector, the source for an image is looking in the folder that I copied and defined as the root folder, instead of the actual path within the root folder. You can see the actual path by looking at the source code however.

I was told this is the only way to verify a page, to upload it back to the server and view it in development. This seems like quite a PITA to me though. Is it not possible to see the entire page in Design View when pulling in and editing an existing site?

Ricky55
08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I think this may be to do with the way you've copied the site.

Start off by defining the site in DW, enter the web address and the FTP details and define a location on your hard drive where you want it to reside. This is best not being your desktop by the way.

Now connect to the remove server

Click at the top of the site (ie the root) right click and select get.

This should then preserve all links etc.

It is of course possible to view in design view.

Thanks

Ricky55
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Don't just copy from the server, the get will get all the files from the server and it should create them locally as they were originally.

milhouse
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ricky. I tried that but the host is a UNIX server that I have to use a SSH client to connect to. I tried using the Secure FTP option in DW, but it still won't work.

domedia
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
You can set up your own local development server, like WAMP, to be able to test changes before putting it live. I think DJ made some video tutorials on this. Check the 'tutorial' link in the main navigation on top of this site.

milhouse
08-16-2007, 05:38 PM
You can set up your own local development server, like WAMP, to be able to test changes before putting it live. I think DJ made some video tutorials on this. Check the 'tutorial' link in the main navigation on top of this site.

I do have a test area that I upload to to view my changes, but it would be a lot easier if the page I was editing in DW was WYSIWYG, instead of all broken and garbled. Looks fine after I upload it, but not in Design View.

I'll try the tutorial you mention to see if this helps.