PDA

View Full Version : Seo

LoveLeather
08-15-2007, 09:25 AM
I have almost finished my site www.loveleather.co.uk (http://www.loveleather.co.uk) and now I am faced with learning how to try and achive a good ranking amongst search engines, SEO.

So far I understand that these points are important: Page title, Headings <h> tags, bold text, first 25 words, the url, meta tags and getting listed with directories.

My questions are:

1. As you build with Dreamweaver, it does not use <h> tags, but you can wrap text with them, but when I have done this the txt goes massive, some tips on how to use <h> tags would be great.

2. When using meta tags, do I copy my index tags and put them into every page I have?

I do know that over use can lead to the search robots dismising you as a spammer or even blacklisting you.

Ricky55
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Its worth adding meta tags but they don't seem to have much of a bearing, add keywords and a description. I add to every page. Don't go mad though so a paragraph for your description and 20 approx keywords.

Good page titles with decent descriptions (keywords) also help. Some good keyword style text on the home page can be useful also, see www.jaybe.co.uk at the bottom of the index page these have been picked up by search engines but then this site gets many visitors.

You could also add your details to sites like www.applegate.co.uk which regsiter your company and site for free. Search engines do pick up things from sites like these.

To be honest though mate I've done sites that have all of the above and more and still get no where. You just can't beat visitors and more visitors, but its hard to get them without advertising else where.

I did a site a while back for a guy that advertised and his rankings are great, I did another site for someone who did no advertising (same methods of site design) and he has got no where, it just shows the impact of site visits.

Also links from and to your site can help a great deal but at the end of the day if the site is not visited by many people its hard to get up there on the search engines.

Ricky55

Jittor
08-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello LoveLeather,

I found this e-book or e-artical (whatever you want to call it) and it might help you to better understand the process a bit, click here (http://www.relevantchristians.com/public/seo.pdf)
Also, the <h> is really for headings, and there are different levels. <h> being the highest (which I have never seen used) and then there is:

<h1>This is a heading</h1>
<h2>This is a heading</h2>
<h3>This is a heading</h3>
<h4>This is a heading</h4>
<h5>This is a heading</h5>
<h6>This is a heading</h6>

Each time the font gets a little smaller. Check out this link for a little more on this:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_primary.asp

Keep in mind though that Ricky55 is correct, you may do all this work for nothing, but that is part of the battle.

There is also the robot.txt file that helps search engine spiders crawl your site and tells them info and things like where to and not to crawl. Do a search in these forums, because the robot.txt file has been talked about many times in here.

LoveLeather
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, I had used a robot.txt file before. I should make another. I have done quite a few things to optomise my site and will wait untill google craws again to see if my site has got better results.

I will check those links Jittor, thanks.

If I dont start getting good hits, I will have to look in AdWords!!!

LoveLeather
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
PS. My old page currently ranks on page 39 and 20 when only UK sites are searched on Google, when 'leather headboard' is searched.

That is quite encouraging considering I had done no SEO on that page. I have now changed it and added META tags and changed my front page slightly now I understand a little on the subject.

domedia
08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
If you get a couple of links from your business parners/vendors etc with the phrase 'leather headboard, either as the link text or close to it, it should help a lot as well. Don't forget that your own links inside your site is counted as well. If 'leather headboard' is your key SEO phrase, link to your homepage using that text, or use it close to the link to your homepage.

Ricky: I think if you put a little more focus in getting inbound links, I think you'll see a better SERP placement, and indirectly more visitors.

LoveLeather
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Is there any advantage in having mirrored sites as I have www.loveleather.co.uk (http://www.loveleather.co.uk) and www.leather-headboards.co.uk (http://www.leather-headboards.co.uk) the only reason I bought the second was I understand that search engines also use the URL when ranking. Could I link them in anyway to help?

Would it be worth buying a couple more with good keywords in the title?

Also does google understand leatherheadboard.co.uk and leather-headboard.co.uk the same way, can it read multiple words together????

domedia
08-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Having duplicate sites is not going to help I think. Google is most likely going to think that they are duplicate websites (which they are), and ignore the ones it doesn't think is the original one. Not sure exactly how this would work out, but I know there's a consensus in the SEO industry that having duplicate website is not a good idea.

It's not so much the search engines that look at the url of the site, but many people that link to your site would just use the url as the linked text. So indirectly, your choice of domain name for your site would have an impact on search results. We're back to the importance of a link strategy again. Using links as a determination of the popularity and relevancy of a page is a core part of the Google search engine and most other search engines have the same concept in play today.