PDA

View Full Version : quick question about protecting images and a hit counter for site

tallaghtspur
08-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi all,
ive created a site for a photographer using traditional tables to insert the images. Is there any way i can stop browsers from right-clicking and copying the images shown?
second question is that they want to track the traffic to the site. Is there a way of doing this that isnt a visible conter on the screen that can be checked?
Thanks a bunch

davidj
08-14-2007, 12:59 PM
you cant protect the images because they are downloaded to the users machine. You could put a watermark across the top of the images which denote copywrite although this will spoil your pics.
you should have access to your log files through your hosting company where you can use software to analyse the data

Jittor
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Water is really the only way to protect your pics. Anyone who really wants them will be able to get them. So water mark them and don't upload them in super high quality. Gifs are harder to manipulate than Jpegs but like I said, if they really want it they will get it.

domedia
08-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Putting them on the internet, means per definition, that they need to download it in order to see it.

They can't see the image unless they download it, it doesn't appear on the screen by magic 8-)

tallaghtspur
08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
this is true... but i just thought there might have been a lttle trick i could use to disable the right click copy image option so they dont get robbed. Alas not to worry.

domedia
08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, you can disable the function of a right-click on a website, and really piss off your users. There's a lot of functionality in the right-click menu. And they'll just go file->save page anyways. or find the image in their browsers cache since it already on their computer.

Have you gone to other photographers websites and had a look?
I was involved in making this one a while back: edwargin dot com
"Stealing" photos was never an issue. They're copyrighted so any use of them without the owners consent is a federal criminal offense (I think).

Jittor
08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
it doesn't appear on the screen by magic

Non-believer :)

Dom you are correct - it is a criminal offense and the photo/content is considered copyright as soon as it is created. That doesn't mean someone couldn't go out and take a similar photograph. Though, the time and money it will take to sue the person might not be worth it, but you are protected. I personally, would still add a small watermark. Usually just the threat of suing them will make them remove/not use the stolen image.

domedia
08-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Criminal offense absolutely. I just wasn't sure if it was a federal offense or not. Which in case, makes it a much worse offense? I haven't been in the states long enough to get a good enough grasp on the justice system.