PDA

View Full Version : noob needs help! dw8 to dwcs3 problem

woscawolf
08-12-2007, 06:14 PM
hi all,

i'm taking a very basic dw class (online) and the book i have and the class both follow procedure for dw 8. i have dw cs3 and i've run into a what i imagine is a very simple problem.

the exercise in the book asks me to go to Insert>layout objects> layer. (i've already added a tracing image, and i'm supposed to add different layers in order to have greater control over where i can place my objects).

when i click on layout objects, my options are div tag, ap tag, and a bunch of spry options. my question is, how do i simply add a layer? i checked with dw help and nothing comes up when i search for layer.

this assignment is due soon, so i'm really hoping someone would be so kind as to help me. thanks so much!

W

edbr
08-13-2007, 04:25 AM
apdiv is actually a layer, and will insert the same as layer did in dw8

#apDiv1 {
position:absolute;
width:200px;
height:115px;
z-index:1;
}

gmcrone
08-13-2007, 04:25 AM
div = layer in Dreamweaver language

Mike..

Cary
08-13-2007, 06:27 AM
As already stated, the ap tag is the one you want. It will create an absolutely positioned div.

Another difference you'll find is in the CSS panel which has two tabs. In CS3 you have "CSS Styles" and "AP Elements". However, DW8 has "CSS Styles" and "Layers". CS3 is a bit more meaningful since layers are just absolutely positioned elements (and not necessarily divs unless they were created using the ap tag button).

At any rate, if/when you need to find the Layers tab, just look for the AP Elements tab instead.

woscawolf
08-14-2007, 01:22 AM
thanks so much for all of the help. i really appreciate it!