PDA

View Full Version : Need all the help I can get!

jblair
08-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Need a lot of help.

Recently was asked by my company to manage a website they had designed by a web developer that they are having problems with. I have been having a lot of health problems so they offered me this so I could work from my home. The problem is it has been years since I worked on web-pages and then it was in HTML which I can work in fine. The developer set the site up as a dynamic website and I am having a lot of problems working with the site.

1. I purchased DW CS WEB PREMIUM and installed it on my computer. I have set it up with the server and am able to access it fine. However I am not able to find an HTML for the homepage.

2. The rest of the pages are either /content/view/##/##/ or /content/blogcaterory/##/##/ I am truly in the dark.

I have read and watched the tutorials but none of them relay help with understanding a site that someone else has set up. Or at least for an old man like me.

I would like to know if there is a way to map the structure of the site to help me understand the way the links work and how to edit the structures that are in place. Have a lot of changes that need to be made but no clue on how to accomplish them.

Would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks
:confused: jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:09 PM
hi mate

is the site writtin in PHP? does it carry a PHP extension?

jblair
08-11-2007, 06:23 PM
No that is one of the problems. I know that it uses msql database. File types include .js .php etc... I am attaching a copy of the code from the home page. If you can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I am almost to the point of rebuilding the site in html and reloading but I have always loved a challenge and this one appears to be a good one.

Thanks
jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:25 PM
you didnt send me anything other than html

jblair
08-11-2007, 06:28 PM
That is the source view from Explorer. Could you look at the site and let me know how you think it is structured?http://www.factory-directhomes.com

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:30 PM
i think you have been given a project which is beyond your skill level

you need to understand html before starting to learn php.

how familiar are you with html?

jblair
08-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I have worked in html but always with a wysiwyg past that not much. I am willing to learn what I need but have a short time frame to work in.

Thanks
jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:37 PM
i noticed this in the footer

http://www.joomlajunkie.com/

its a template site for joomla which is a CMS

here is the basic site which you install and customise

http://www.joomla.org/

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:39 PM
you should have an admin username and password for your site

jblair
08-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks I will install it and go from there. I agree that it is over my skill level but I am grasping at straws. I need to stay with the company and work to keep my insurance. I am trying to get on the liver transplant list. It is very important to me to be able to make this work. I have taken over the ad campaing for the site and have brought the costs back under control but managing the site is something I have to be able to do.

Thanks for your help. An old man can still learn it just takes me a little while longer.

jblair

jblair
08-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I do. The site uses cpanel.

jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:46 PM
you should have an admin username and password for your current site

once you get into the admin side this is where you modify it and change stuff like content text and pictures...

you dont need dreamweaver really as its all controlled within its self

nor do you need to install another version of it

cpanel is your host account. You need to have an admin account for the site

jblair
08-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I have the admin login. Will it be possible to view the files that I am editing or just the code?

jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:52 PM
do you have an admin page for the site. It will be in the directory structure on your host space

davidj
08-11-2007, 06:54 PM
if you can get inside the admin area then its all controlled in there

jblair
08-11-2007, 07:31 PM
http://factory-directhomes.com/dev/cpanel.pdf

http://factory-directhomes.com/dev/cpanel.pdf

Sorry having problems with the attachement size restriction so I put the files in link form.

Yes. I can log in to admin. They have sitebuilder as there provided editor and also suggest DW. Here is a look at the directory file. Attached is a view of the cpanel and directory.

Thanks
jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Mmmm

this is a joomla site... this is all i know

in my experience with joomla allot of the configuration is done inside of the CMS its self. Yes i know you can add mods and tweaks using DW but thats outside of my understanding

jblair
08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
David thanks for all of your help. I am reading the manual for Joomla. I know it is installed on our site. Hopefuly I will be able understand and access it to do the editing. I will keep the DW CS3 for some design work as I learn more about the Joomla I believe that I should be able to intergrate them together at some point.

Once again thanks for all of your help!

jblair

davidj
08-11-2007, 08:56 PM
note:

your cpanel images are nothing to do with your site regarding the structure of it..

cpanel administers the space it lives on...

you should have a different login and URL to get inside the site

jblair
08-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks: I have the admin login so I will get with the host and set up my serverside log in.

jblair

domedia
08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
HI jblair,
If you want to change the content of the site, login to joomla which by default has the login page at /administrator/. Use your browser for this , not Dreamweaver.

If you want to change the template for the site (the look), you have to learn how to edit joomla templates. To do this you should know some things about how the joomla engine works. You can use DW as a code editor to do some of this stuff, but it's useless unless you know programming.

jblair
08-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks I will try that. Does the software run on the server or do I need to also install it on my computer?

jblair

davidj
08-12-2007, 10:17 AM
you can edit it from the server

domedia
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks I will try that. Does the software run on the server or do I need to also install it on my computer?

jblair
The software is already running on your server, and that is the only place you can login to your Joomla administration area.