PDA

View Full Version : What does a Website Design / SEO Business look Like?

malhyp
08-09-2007, 01:45 AM
HI to all,

I am a website designer and partime seo / sem in Australia.

Currently I am working from home and thinking of moving into an office soon.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me feedback on where you work from.

Do you work from home?
Do you work from an office?
Advantage / dissadvanges from one or the other.

If business seems to be going well from home should I spend the extra $ to move into an office and hopefuly improve on the business image.

Also I have hnever been into website designers or seo office, what's there? Chairs, Desk & Computers, or is it set up like a retail store?

Do your customers come to visit you? or do you visit them?

Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mal

Mark_W
08-09-2007, 02:07 AM
This is me speaking as someone who has an interest in business, as I neither work from home or work from an office.

Do your customers come to visit you? or do you visit them?This is the prime question you need to ask yourself before you consider moving into an office.

If you are visiting your customers then there is less of a reason to consider moving into an office as your clients are not going to be seeing what type of an environment you live in.

If your clients are visiting you then that is when you need to start thinking about considering renting office space, as it will look more professional to you.

Advantages of working at home

It is cheaper working from home than from an office as you do not need to pay for the office space.
In all it is cheaper to work from home as you are lowering your fixed costs and variable costs, thus creating lower profit margins thus less units of SEO or web designs needing to be sold to break even.
Advantages of working from an office

You are able to appear more professional to prospect clients who may visit your premises or send your letters. (Who would you chose to buy from, 1st Class web design from Back Street, Brixton or 1st Class web design from Park Lane, London?)
You are able to keep an eye on your employees instead of all being in different houses.Working from an office is expensive (At least in the UK, I don't know about down under).

(btw, you would choose to buy from Park Lane as it is a more classy area than Brixton, just in case you don't know the London area)

davidj
08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Also I have hnever been into website designers or seo office, what's there? Chairs, Desk & Computers, or is it set up like a retail store?

The offices i used to work in many years ago was designed.... Just like the job really

It was open plan and quite bling

you need enough space for future proofing.

you need a work area and a client area... These can be in the same space and you can partition areas

We had a meeting area which had a big round table and had a large monitor for discussing current projects with clients and fellow developers. Our working environment was a nice place to be with IKEA styled furniture.

edbr
08-09-2007, 08:46 AM
for many working at home can need more discipline. depends on character I guess.

domedia
08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Also I have hnever been into website designers or seo office, what's there? Chairs, Desk & Computers, or is it set up like a retail store? I think it would be very beneficial for you to get in contact with some of the web designers and businesses in your area. I'm a but surprised you haven't had this contact already. You're working full time with this right?

There's a ton of benefits to knowing the industry in your home area; for you career, networking, keeping up to date in the industry etc.

kate
08-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello,

Working from home..for me might mean far too many interuptions. Example, Baby crying/hungry/tired, the phone ringing from friends. Visitors calling round. I don't have a backup of a full-time job so it would have to be financially viable too.

Can we afford to work from home? we hear such things around the net about 'bad payers', or excuses that they want something changing after you have both signed the agreement on content and time. If I was 'properly employed' then I would only need to worry about whats in the pay pack which was agreed at interveiw.

Lots of +'s for working from home, lots of +'s in not. Its down to choice and opprtunity, I guess we would all favor for not being employed by a boss if we could. I like not having to go out in cold, sleet, and high winds in the winter months..:mrgreen: