PDA

View Full Version : Putting A Magazine to scroll thru online

nbxfan
08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I am a complete newbie to web design as my primary job is being an Art Director for a magazine. However, the company website has fallen to my jurisdiction now and, I have been asked to find a way to put the magazine online to be read. My thinking is that is should look something like a single browser page that has the magazine viewable and, has little tabs or some such thing that allows a user to advance the magazine page but not the browser page. This would be similar to going to target.com, bestbuy.com, or circuitcity.com and looking at the weekly AD.

The problem I am having is that it doesn't look like dreamweaver alone can do this and I am wondering if there is another piece of software that would make this relatively easy to do. I assume there must be as the forementioned websites change this on a weekly basis and, I can't see it being a time consuming process because of that. Any help would be great. Just a name of software is fine as I can search for it myself from there. I do apologize if this is in the wrong area of the forum. I am unsure what to call what I am looking for else i'd google search it myself.

Again thank you for any help...

domedia
08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
All those other websites display their tabs with a technology called Flash. You can get it from Adobe. You can't just click your way through making these, it does require experience with the software and actionscripting.

On the other hand; are you sure this is the best way to display your content? Look at how other magazines and newspapers are doing this. They don't try to create new interfaces for their readers to access their content, but use regular web pages.

nbxfan
08-08-2007, 10:30 PM
ok, i realized this was done with flash but, it was suggested to me that there was a program that would make this easier. I will have to look at actual pages that are doing this to see how they have gone about it. I like the interface that the pages I mentioned use and that was why i thought they'd work. I would also like to be able to link to various webpages directly from the viewed document and it just seemed putting 100+ pages on a website has to be able to be done at a fairly quick and easy pace thus the idea that there would be another program to help make this a quicker process.