PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sound to Webpage

JohnMayer
08-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I didnít find this in previous threads, so I hope Iím not rehashing old info. I also checked the online help for Dreamweaver and remain unenlightened. Iím trying to learn the proper way to add sound to a webpage. Obviously, this is not a problem for most, so Iím sure I will be embarrassed when I discover the source of my problem.

I had no trouble adding an mp3 to the website. But I am having trouble specifiying its behaviour. I donít really care too much whether the music begins playing as soon as the page downloads, or when a particular image, to which the file is currently linked, completes downloading. But none of my settings have either of those effects. Mousing over the image produces the Mickey Mouse hand indicating the image is to be clicked upon, whereupon that entire frame is replaced by the Quicktime control bar. I simply want the music to play through once (not loop) when either the page or the image downloads. Thanks for any help.

BTW, in the behaviors drop-down commands, does onFocus mean when an image completely resolves the behavior begins? Does onBlur mean the behavior begins as soon as the first rough image appears? Thanks again.

~ John Mayer

davidj
08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
unless your building a music site id advise against putting music on a site

and unless its your music you could wind up with a bill from the copy right police.

unless your the musician...... John Mayer and its your own music

domedia
08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I didnít find this in previous threads, so I hope Iím not rehashing old info. I also checked the online help for Dreamweaver and remain unenlightened. Iím trying to learn the proper way to add sound to a webpage. Obviously, this is not a problem for most, so Iím sure I will be embarrassed when I discover the source of my problem.

I had no trouble adding an mp3 to the website. But I am having trouble specifiying its behaviour. I donít really care too much whether the music begins playing as soon as the page downloads, or when a particular image, to which the file is currently linked, completes downloading. But none of my settings have either of those effects. Mousing over the image produces the Mickey Mouse hand indicating the image is to be clicked upon, whereupon that entire frame is replaced by the Quicktime control bar. I simply want the music to play through once (not loop) when either the page or the image downloads. Thanks for any help.

BTW, in the behaviors drop-down commands, does onFocus mean when an image completely resolves the behavior begins? Does onBlur mean the behavior begins as soon as the first rough image appears? Thanks again.

~ John Mayer
Use Flash for embedding sound
onFocus means when an element gets focus in the browser (when it is selected for example, or tabbed to)
onBlur means when it loses focus.
Mickey Mouse? I have no ideas where Disney came into the picture

JohnMayer
08-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks. I donít know how to use Flash, but I guess I can learn. I was trying to use the Behaviours dialogue to add sound, but I couldnít seem to get the sound to simply play in the background or, as Iíd imagined the dialogue to mean, when a particular image loaded. I did manage to use simple html code to add background music - I wasnít sure where to place it, but some experimentation revealed a solution that worked - but I was hoping to learn to simplify things by using only Dreamweaverís functions.

The Mickey Mouse hand is the hand that appears when you mouse over something that is clickable. I guess it looked to me so much like a cartoon hand that everyone else would make the same association; didnít mean to be obscure. Thanks again.

~ John Mayer

domedia
08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks. I donít know how to use Flash, but I guess I can learn.I was trying to use the Behaviours dialogue to add sound, but I couldnít seem to get the sound to simply play in the background or, as Iíd imagined the dialogue to mean, when a particular image loaded. I did manage to use simple html code to add background music - I wasnít sure where to place it, but some experimentation revealed a solution that worked - but I was hoping to learn to simplify things by using only Dreamweaverís functions. Make sure you have a good reason to add sound. 90% of the time sound will decrease the user experience. Unless your site warrants it, respect your users and don't include any sounds.The Mickey Mouse hand is the hand that appears when you mouse over something that is clickable. I guess it looked to me so much like a cartoon hand that everyone else would make the same association; didnít mean to be obscure. Ah! I see, no problem.