PDA

View Full Version : Frame Scrolling Problem in IE6

jorgego
08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I just finished designing a new website using Dreamweaver 8 (www.omarjorge.com (http://www.omarjorge.com/)) and am having a serious scrolling problem in IE6 with the main page. The page works fine with Firefox and IE7, but when viewed with IE6, all the text jumbles together making the text unreadable.

Also, I was having a problem with pages opening up on top of one another. If I clicked a link in the navigation bar, the page would open up on top of the page that was already there instead of opening up a new page. To correct this, I've set the links to open up in a new page using _blank.

I really need help in fixing this problem. If someone could take a look at the page and advise me on what to do, I'd really appreciate it.

davidj
08-06-2007, 10:04 PM
hi jorgego

you have used flash buttons as navigation buttons but are also using a frameset. You have not defined which frame to open the page requests in and are therefore opening in a blank

i would rethink your navigation and probably just use images within HTML as this would provide the same functionality but with less problems

jorgego
08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks David. I'm going to try the site with standard buttons instead of Flash. I originally defined the frames to open in the mainframe within the frameset, but the files were opening one on top of the other, so I changed everything to _blank to avoid the problem while I corrected the underlying issue.

I'll report back after I change the nav-bar.

jorgego
08-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Just removed the entire flash navigation bar in Dreamweaver and am still having the same problem. I'm starting to think the problem is with frames in general. I'm going to give it one more shot with frames before figuring out what to do next.

All suggestions on how to fix the problem would save me a ton of work and is greatly appreciated.

davidj
08-07-2007, 06:44 AM
post your code from the nav page

domedia
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm starting to think the problem is with frames in general. You're on to something ;)

Frames are for displaying another website's page into your site. It allows you to call more than one html page into a frameset. Using it for your own website, without liking external content is misuse of this. Like using a toaster to drive a nail into the wall. It might work, but it's wrong.

Have you looked intot he DW template system? It makes it very easy to set up a site and make sure all pages and elements are consistent. Look in the help files if this is what you're looking for.

jorgego
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the advice on the DW templates. I've used them before and haven't been completely happy with the outcome so I tend not to use them as much anymore.

Anyway, I found the problem. The entire problem was being caused by an image I was including in the main frame to create a rounded corner. I removed the image from all the files and now everything's working fine.