PDA

View Full Version : code impaired newbie seeks visual help

marcia
08-01-2007, 07:45 PM
what is a thread?:confused:
relatively uneducated about computer graphics, tho have used photoshop, illustrator, frontpage, dreamweaver, flash and quark in a basic way in a Windows environment. I have gone to seminars, taken a few lessons, but mostly just DO according to books.
Am now trying to understand Dreamweaver/CSS/HTML. Can I successfully create websites in the splitview without knowing CSS? I have created 2 webpages in Frontpage and have now converted (?) one of them into Dreamweaver without knowing much HTML. They are on the Web, with all their errors, and seem to run properly in Firefox and IE (don't have Safari).
I understand Tables, but can't seem to 'get' CSS Boxes. How do I put CSS into a Table? Is CSS all code driven or can I generate it visually?:confused::confused::confused:
I seem to be code impaired, and hope I can work visually.

Can anyone help me? Or will I be forced to mend my ways?

Paws
08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I think a thread is a piece of string, not sure.
Actually a thread is what you just started well in this forum I hope it's called a thread.

CSS:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

AND

http://www.tizag.com/cssT/index.php

Have fun.

marcia
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
So, thanx - that puts me right back where I started. I'm aching to avoid all that new stuff - grumble, and I don't know what an 'unbeliever' is, so pls tell me. I'm not lazy, I just want to do art work.
Code impaired/challenged.

Paws
08-02-2007, 06:54 AM
An unbeliever? check wikipedia.:mrgreen:

Anyways what's the questiosn?:grin:

Cheers
Paws

domedia
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
marcia, you could always find someone to outsource the code work to. It sounds like you don't want to make websites, but focus on the creative part of it, right?

davidj
08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
or become a graphic designer instead of a web developer

Jittor
08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
relatively uneducated about computer graphics, tho have used photoshop, illustrator, frontpage, dreamweaver, flash and quark in a basic way in a Windows environment.

or a painter?? You sound like you want to learn but you don't want to learn?

marcia
08-02-2007, 07:35 PM
But I NEED to learn...
I can't get a page up. Do I create images/type first and then name them div/class etc and then insert into a layout? Or create the layout first and then insert?
please, I'm serious.

Paws
08-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Firstly:
What is your question???

marcia
08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Paws, Thanks for taking the time.
Do I start with html? then, for CSS,
what do I create first? layout or div tags?
Second question, how do I insert the answer to the first question.

Paws
08-02-2007, 08:29 PM
You want to develop web pages...
What application are you using?

marcia
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Another question:
Can I see the design mode on the same screen as the CSS code sheet? If so, how?

Paws
08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
ARE YOU EVEN READING WHAT I JUST POSTED!!!
WHAT THE !!!!
Go and learn how to read!!!
then come back and try again.

Did you buy your education???

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING

ranjan
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the laugh!!

marcia
08-02-2007, 09:56 PM
ha! ha! - DID YOU READ MY FIRST ENTRY? I'M USING DREAMWEAVER.

I was successful in Frontpage because all I had to do was enter images/text. HTML is easier for me than CSS. IN Dreamweaver, I'm hoping to use the split level mode as I can do both at once.
If this is some kind of joke to some of you, that's a shame (you're sick and sadistic!). I do not know 'computerease' and don't know how to access the 'quote' or 'wikepedia'. I am seriously trying to learn. For my background, I've done pretty well!!!

marcia
08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
pss to Paws:
the link to the first 2 sites you sent me are have been helpful - sorry I didn't thank you before.

davidj
08-02-2007, 10:05 PM
marcia

take no notice of him

Also why would I need a "job"?
I don't need a "job" a "job" is for people that are stuck in the rat race of society.
Cheers

this is what your dealing with

an IDIOT

to get the full episode
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25786
and make your own mind up

it would be nice not to work but my mortgage company wouldnt accept stuck in the rat race of society as an excuse

domedia
08-02-2007, 10:20 PM
heh, this thread is taking all kinds of turns. Just remember to be respectful, folks. :)

Nice to see you again Ranjan!

JBD
08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
I to am fairly new to Dreamweaver and have found this book along with the many online tutorials very useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamweaver-2004-Dummies-Janine-Warner/dp/0764543423

The beauty of DW is that you can create websites entirely using the design view as DW does all the code for you. You can apply CSS features to your design by using the 'behaviors' tool. It's a good idea to try and learn and understand the html that is being created by DW as you add to your design.

http://www.cannonsecurity.co.uk/

I designed this website by creating all the graphic elements in Illustrator/Photoshop/ImageReady and then arranged them into a table layout within DW.

Sorry to any DW experts on here if my tips sound stupid but I'm just trying to give basic advice from a DW newbies point of view.

JBD
08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
sorry ignore the sentence about CSS as I just realized what I said. For some reason I thought behaviors were related to CSS. Long day at work...

marcia
08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
to jbd,
thanks so much. I have dw8, and will research a dummies book for it. Am using the 'visual quickstart', which has been helpful. Surpassed the dummies option, but now will re-researh it. Had a wonderful book for Frontpage, but it's not in print for DW.
Your advice seems appropriate for me. I use tables and am now using a template for the first time. CSS seems too advanced for me, tho HTML seems more clear so far. Guess I have a lot to learn! Thanks again!

Paws
08-04-2007, 12:20 AM
marcia
take no notice of him
this is what your dealing with
an IDIOT
to get the full episode
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25786
and make your own mind up

it would be nice not to work but my mortgage company wouldnt accept stuck in the rat race of society as an excuse

davidj the big ****head that needs an excuse for everything, you lazy ****er!.
Who the **** do you think your are???
****ing wanker!

**** RIGHT OFF YOU SCOTTISH/IRISH/BUT****ER!
What a bunch of PUSSIES you blimies are!
**** RIGHT OFF ALL YOU ****ERS WHO THINKS LIKE THIS davidj character aswell.
BAN me if you can you LAZY ****ing PUSSY!

Thank you for understanding.

Paws
08-04-2007, 01:10 AM
pss to Paws:
the link to the first 2 sites you sent me are have been helpful - sorry I didn't thank you before.
Glad I could help.

davidj
08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
a village is missing an idiot

marcia
08-04-2007, 09:07 PM
JBD: Your security page looks good, especially like the blends you used. Did you do them in Photoshop?

marcia
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I joined this forum in good faith. Now understand 'thread' - dialog, in plain English.

Will rephrase my original question: Am working in Dreamweaver 8 in Windows environment. Can I use the Splitview using CSS, instead of HTML? If so, how? (Would like to see what I am writing, as I am working visually.)

(Please, serious answers only - no bickering re personal vandettas. It's a waste of time, but I will learn DW regardless) Thank-you.

davidj
08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
If you have your CSS in a separate file then just open your page in your browser and then tweak the CSS in Dreamweaver code view. Save it, then just refresh your browser to see the update.

its always best to preview your changes through the browser as things may appear different than in design view.

oh an i appologise to you for bringing our differences into your thread

JBD
08-04-2007, 10:17 PM
marcia: I'm assuming you mean the image bar at the top - yes this was done in photoshop. Like I've said this is my first website and looking back at it I can see many things I would have done differently. I'm currently working on my own website and I think I'll post it on this site for some feedback.

gmcrone
08-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Will rephrase my original question: Am working in Dreamweaver 8 in Windows environment. Can I use the Splitview using CSS, instead of HTML? If so, how? (Would like to see what I am writing, as I am working visually.)
Thank-you.

Basically no. CSS is not a visual object, only code. Think of it as similar to a server side language that can only be seen when the actual web page is open.
You can open the CSS file in DW, but it is only in code view.

Mike...

marcia
08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Mike,

thank you, thank-you, THANK YOU! I've been trying to confirm my suspicions for a while, and it is a simple fact. NO! I appreciate your clear response.

As I've been reading more, I am becoming more aware that it's a clarification of the HTML code, and it seems to me, needs to be added to the code view separately. I am dissapointed that I won't be able to see it as it happens in the split view...maybe in the future...

Anyway, am beginning to see the light, and think it will become clearer. Thanks to you and others who have tried to make me understand.

Brenda226
08-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello Marcia...I know how hard it is to try to get an answer for something like that and while going from one dead end to another... please find below what helped me. :)

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are a collection of formatting rules that control the appearance of content in a web page. They are very useful for maintaining a web site since its appearance (controlled by properties of HTML tags) can be managed from just one file. CSS Styles also enhance your site's look, accessibility and reduces file size. Another main advantage is reusability - instead of defining the properties of fonts, backgrounds, borders, bullets, uniform tags, etc. each time you use them you can just assign the corresponding css style in the class property. You can store CSS styles directly in each document or, for more control and flexibility, in an external style sheet.
There are 3 types of CSS Styles:

Custom CSS (Class) styles: create a customized style with the set attributes. These class styles can be applied to any tag.
HTML Tag styles: redefine the formatting for a particular tag, such as <h1>. All text formatted with the h1 tag is immediately updated.
Advanced CSS Selector styles: redefine the formatting for:
A particular combination of tags (for example, td h2 applies whenever an h2 header appears inside a table cell) and pseudo-class styles (for example, a:link, a:hover, a:visited)
A specific ID attribute (for example, #myStyle applies to all tags that contain the attribute-value pair id="myStyle")How it works

CSS styles are defined within the <style> tag.
If you define the styles embedded within your current document you will find code similar to the following in your head content:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
.bluetext {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000066;text-decoration: none;} -> Example of Class style:- apply using class property for any tag <p class="bluetext">

h1 {specifications} -> Example of Tag style:- for tag <h1>

a:link {specifications} -> Example of pseudo-class Advanced style:- applied to all <a> tags without any other style

#NewsBox {specifications} -> Example of ID attribute Advanced style:- applied to the tag whose ID property is set to NewsBox
-->
</style>
If you define the style in a external existing or new Style Sheet (recommended) you will find code similar to the following in your head content:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/styles.css" type="text/css">
This code indicates that the document is linking to the external style sheet called styles.css located under the site root. If you open the style sheet in notepad you will find code similar to the code for the styles being embedded in the document. The big advantage of external style sheets is that the web site is easy to maintain and that when we make changes to the styles applied in the document, only the style sheet needs to be uploaded and not all the pages accessing it. As a practice, while using Macromedia Dreamweaver, link you template(s) to the external style sheet so that all the pages using the template can use just one style sheet.
Creating a New Style Sheet and a new CSS Style

Open your site in Dreamweaver and do the following:

Open any page of your site and select window > CSS Styles and Click the New CSS Style button (+ icon), a pop-up window will show up.
Select Class in the Selector Type. Now type your style name in the Name box (example: .bullet). Use the Tag Selector Type for redefining HTML tags or the Advanced Selector Type for hovers, id attributes or combination of tags.
Define the style in a New Style Sheet, give a name (example: styles.css) and save it under your site root. Click OK.
In the CSS Style Definition pop-up window that appears give the Formatting Attributes like Font, List, Background, Border, Positioning, etc.

marcia
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow, Brenda! How great are you? Terrific reply!

I'm also getting a new book that I think will help me a lot - it's the Dummie's book, How dumb I was not to get it in the first place.

Hope that there's something I can do for others someday...

M

davidj
08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
nice one brenda

Brenda226
08-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Your welcome. I enjoy the world of web, graphics, design...it's just my passion...love electronics... I rather receive a piece of electronic or software before flowers or jewelry…

Did you already purchase the “dummies book”? If not…you should really get a Dreamwaver MX bible book or the Wow books…they are great!!!! Just my opinion…

Good luck with your project…

davidj
08-07-2007, 06:41 AM
I rather receive a piece of electronic or software before flowers or jewelry…

OMG i just found my ideal woman!

domedia
08-07-2007, 01:52 PM
What a great first post Brenda. Please stay around and welcome to the forums!

marcia
08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
It seems my work here is done. My thread has
provided a boxing ring for people to vent their vendettas, and now, a dating and meeting service. I think I deserve a commission.

But, thanks to the juniors who seem to understand and be serious.

I feel degraded by the 'administrators' and senior members. Perhaps you have forgotten what it's like to start out. It seems like you just want to joke around at my expense.

A business-like welcoming tone would have been nice.

If you want to send messages to private parties, I'm sure you know how. Please do not use me.

The web-site has some good features, but the thread opens you up to all sorts of strange stuff.

Good-bye.

davidj
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I feel degraded by the 'administrators' and senior members. Perhaps you have forgotten what it's like to start out

and i was sticking up for you regarding the response you received by a member. I thought his retort was uncalled for and therefore stood against it.

In no way did i degrade you! and when did i add any negativity to your level of expertise. Oh and i wasn't joking around.

If you judge the forum by this one thread then your shooting yourself in the foot. Take evidence from past posts and make a mature observation and know that this is a rare occurrence.

The world is a diverse place and people sound off every now and again and if you don't agree with that then you belong on the set of the little house on the prairie..

Get over it ... Its just life!

marcia
08-07-2007, 07:59 PM
thanks for your words. It was the other party that degraded me, tho he did help with his referrals. I thought I had originally explained my problem well, but kept getting a loud response of 'what is the question'. And someone else LOL. Yes, you did defend me there, I accepted your apology, but neglected to write you. My fault! But what transpired afterwards was pretty bad.

If you and Domedia want to persue Brenda, you know how to, but don't waste my space.

I am going back to learning DW in the best way I can, and no, I will not shoot myself in the foot.

domedia
08-07-2007, 08:22 PM
and with that I'll close this thread before we have another explosion.