PDA

View Full Version : need help with gif bacground and creating links

urbaneve
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
okay -- i am really new to dreamweaver, i have used flash in the past, buy anyhoo---

heres the thing

i have a full page created in photoshop, i want to use that as the background centered and then just use dreamweaver to add the links and contact box and such. is there a way to this or do i need to break everything down into tables and such?

i hope i have explained it okay for everyone to understand.

Mark_W
07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Don't use tables, use divs and css.

Jittor
07-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Mark is right. You need to use CSS and divs. This will allow you to do so much more than tables. If you slice out your header, a peice/or all of the center, and your footer you can then use CSS and divs to put it together. If you used tables you would have to slice out everywhere you would want to add text and so on...it's a pain really.

DWC has some tuts on CSS, I don't think any cover learning CSS for the first time, but I could be wrong. Anyways they will explain a little more on CSS if your not familiar with it.

kate
07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Just an example,

I am just learning CSS but went to se what i could find so..

.bckgrn {
background-image: url(/search-results.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: right top;
}

From Murray *ace* Adobe Community Expert and Guru. Name your image where bckgrn is I suppose or not.

Is where the image is hosted so you need the url.

Make that center for your needs.

Try it!

:mrgreen:

Jittor
07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
here is a great starting point on learning CSS (and other codes):

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

urbaneve
07-30-2007, 11:09 PM
thanks guys -- this has been much help. the css site helps too

domedia
07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Just an example,

I am just learning CSS but went to se what i could find so..

.bckgrn {
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

From Murray *ace* Adobe Community Expert and Guru. Name your image where bckgrn is I suppose or not.

Is where the image is hosted so you need the url.

Make that center for your needs.

Try it!

True, Murray has been known for his DW evangelism a long time. Have not seen him possess any 'special' CSS skills though ;-)

I would actually use a CSS shorthand property instead:
.bckgrn { background: url(/search-results.jpg) no-repeat right top; }

kate
07-31-2007, 06:22 AM
That was just a quickie I found as it was late and it was a background solution for someone else domedia.

I like Murrray and he knows what he is about. He has been around DW since DW2

urbaneve
07-31-2007, 06:34 AM
okay -- i had meant to post a link to the site earlier so here it is ---http://magnoliafoam.com/

as you can see it is just the .gif and what i want to do is add the links to the page ( of course )

and as far as the "request an estimate" box can DW create those for me too?

(please forgive my ignorance on this. like i said -- really new to DW --but this has been the most helpful forum i have come across -- thanks guys)

kate
07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
How weird!!

I cannnot test anything in your contact form, your links have a feel of Flash and so don't highlight.

You don't spell mould as mold.

Which gif, they are all coming up as a .gif

All your navigation text has no linking in any of them so you need something like this:

<A HREF="strongerbuildings.htm">stronger buildings</A>

You can have eith htm or html it does'nt really matter, then link your pages like I have but different obviously.

:D

domedia
07-31-2007, 10:31 AM
He has been around DW since DW2 Like a few others in our forum. I think Murrays greatest achievement has been his never ending support and help in the Macromedia forums/newsgroups.

Jittor
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
as you can see it is just the .gif and what i want to do is add the links

I think that is why you can't do anything Kate, he was just show us what he wants to do.

kate
07-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes..I see,

Hopefully he will make more use of the Property Inspector as he goes along, it will become his greatest friend..lol There is so much one can do in there..amazing!

urbaneve
08-02-2007, 08:03 AM
this was just a rought draft that i threw up for explaination purposes. i havent done any of the links or the text that follows. i just wanted to show that i have a full .gif image that i wanted to use as background and then add the links -- and form and such -- but that is where i was running into the problem. everything wanted to be put to the right, left or bottom of the image. i couldnt layer them.

p.s. -- he is a she by the by LOL

urbaneve
08-02-2007, 08:06 AM
How weird!!

You don't spell mould as mold.

:D
where is that at -- i cant seem to find what you are talking about. i dont see mould anywhere

Jittor
08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
p.s. -- he is a she by the by LOL

isn't it funny how we do that?

Well urbaneve, if that is what you are wanting you have a lot of work ahead of you. For starters you will need to learn CSS and the use of DIVs.

kate
08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Soz about thinking you were a he urbaneve,

Right, mold is under navigation along with 'stops moisture' not -->moisutre<--

Just a couple of things I thought should be mentioned.

urbaneve
08-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Soz about thinking you were a he urbaneve,

Right, mold is under navigation along with 'stops moisture' not -->moisutre<--

Just a couple of things I thought should be mentioned.
hehe---thanks -- it was late when i read the post and i went over the page about 15 times looking for it -- (spelling is not my strong suit) i was going out of my mind---LOL
and
no prob about the he/she thing -- believe it or not -- it has happened before. LOL

jittor - i have started checking out the CSS stuff and the <div> tags and now my hubby has decided to add a video and animation to it -- so i was thinking of just bringing it into flash and going that route

kate
08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi,

it has happened before. LOL

Me too and so normally err on the cautious and just post by the hi/hello method - its safer because its happened to me before too.

I have done proof reading well, web reading before lolol so it comes natural when I critque sites to look for typo too.

Anyway Flash to video here is a little something from Adobe just in case you need it.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/video.html

HTH

Have a fun day!

urbaneve
08-03-2007, 07:59 AM
thanks -- very helpful -- i was a little worried about file size by embedding it. i was thining of doing a popup window but i really dont like them. thanks for the tip

kate
08-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Ah!
but i really dont like them
Popup windows don't always popup when people have popup blockers it prevents from opening the window.