PDA

View Full Version : Advice for creating a simple online shoping website

frater a.s.
07-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Im creating a simple online party shop website and I need to know if anyone can tell me how to do this.

There will be a list of products and I want to be able to select a number of items I want to order and hit a buy button. The code of the item and the quantity needs to be sent to a separate pop up window that can then be mailed through to an address once the client has finished his order, is this possible.

Granted Im a not very web savvy and this needs to be simple for me to do.
Any ideas?

kate
07-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello and welcome,

Its more complicated than you think and you would need lots of support for the HTML, CSS, and the shopping trolley, buttons for Papal etc seeing as your not that much 'web savvy'.

Its a lot to take on for a first project.

First find a template you like and we'll try to guide you through it. I have never done shopping trollies and buttons are not my forte unless they done by insert flash iobject...lmaooooooooooo

I'mpresuming you have a host so you could use their scripts in Fantastico to setup your cart.

Good luck!
:mrgreen:

davidj
07-22-2007, 03:44 PM
its no good doing this yourself

your not a programmer and there is too much to learn

you have 2 options...

buy a shop-in-a-box
or hire someone to do it for you

here is a good shop with everything you need. It includes all product setup and numerous payment gateways

http://www.actinic.co.uk/index.shtml

frater a.s.
07-22-2007, 04:41 PM
The reason I though I could give this a go is I don’t need it to go as far as processing a payment, I just want it to go as far as “creating a cart” and mailing me through that “cart”, I would then, contact the person and get them to do a direct deposit.

Its for a small website that my wife wants selling some of her products, so it wont be a high volume website.

Would you be able to use something like forms to create this, if so anyone know of some turtorials?

davidj
07-22-2007, 05:16 PM
you need to understand a number of different languages

HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP

If you have time to get your head around those then your ready to take your project on

You need to understand the first 3 before you can even start looking at PHP which is the language that you will use to cnstruct your cart. You are not at a level where you can just pick this up.

First get an HTML book then move onto CSS. You need to have an understanding of Javascript as well although you may get away with out it.

This is the basics which you need first.

frater a.s.
07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Cool thanks for the advice I will have a look at them and work my way up from there:grin:

LoveLeather
07-22-2007, 07:20 PM
I am doing a similar project, it has taken me a month to get to where I am and it will take another month to comlete. It really is about how much time you have and how dedicated you are to learning. You can do it, but its not easy.

Like what has been mentioned, you need to get to grips with DW, then understand some HTML, CSS and PHP for the forms, that where I am now, PHP.

Yes you can just paste the code forsay a PayPal Cart, but you still need to have a good understanding of web construction.

Good luck

www.loveleather.co.uk (http://www.loveleather.co.uk)

We will be adding pictures very soon, and then it will come alive.

LoveLeather
07-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Had a few beers by the way, sorry for the wonky typing, lol.