PDA

View Full Version : How can I produce a set of menu tabs like the Sony site?

Jim0203
07-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I'd really like to be able to produce a set of tabs at the top of a website I'm designing that look that those that appear on this Sony site:

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/View.action?site=voe_en_GB_cons

I don't need to be able to do the flash stuff that these tabs do (like changing the main part of the page when doing a mouseover), but I'd love to be able to just do what goes on at the top of the page. I've tried for a while but am getting into a right muddle: can anyone suggest how I might do this?

Thanks!

--Jim

domedia
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Show/Hide layers. People have been making this kind of stuff with DW for a long time :)
Are you sure there's nothing in the help files about this?

Jim0203
07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
I guessed that show/hide layers would do the trick, but the problem was that I didn't really want to use layers as they have to be positioned absolutely: and I want my site's divs to be centered.

I'm sure there's lots on here about centering layers, so I'll check it out before posting any more questions!

Edit: I've had a quick look round and there doesn't seem to be anything that's particularly clear on centering layers. I'm perfectly happy with centering div's, but since a layer has to have an absolute position I'm not sure how to center it (so that it is centered on whatever sized screen the end-user is using). If I use a div without absolute positioning then it isn't a layer, and Dreamweaver won't let me do all the fancy show/hide layers stuff!

So, any ideas how to get the precise effect on the Sony site, so that it's centered too?

domedia
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
This is not a problem

<div style="position: relative;" id="centeredwrapper">
<div style="position: absolute">menu</div>
</div>

In the above code, the absolute layer is positioned relative to it's parent, so everything can still be centered