PDA

View Full Version : Add Comment

Ninjax
07-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi guys. I've been trying to find a way to make my website similar to other video game news sites. I want to make it so, when I add some news, I want it to be shown as a preview first (like short description), so if the reader wants to read on and view some comments, they can click the hyperlink which says something like "more", which links them to the page with the full story and comments.

I don't know if I've explained correctly, but I've tried my best.

cocoonfx
07-15-2007, 10:39 PM
You could have a RSS news page this would do something similar.

davidj
07-15-2007, 10:54 PM
you need a database to do this really

a bit like a CMS where all your content is stored and displayed. There are functions in PHP which alow you to display just a few words out of a paragraph or news column

davidj
07-15-2007, 10:55 PM
regarding an RSS. This wont do the job what you want but it is nice to have one on your site also

Ninjax
07-16-2007, 07:43 AM
you need a database to do this really

a bit like a CSM where all your content is stored and displayed. There are functions in PHP which alow you to display just a few words out of a paragraph or news column

Thanks, but could you possibly explain further, like what is a database? Cause I really have no knowledge.

davidj
07-16-2007, 07:55 AM
your asking advanced questions for your knowledge...

A database is storage for data. You fill in a form on a web page and those details are stored in a database for retrieval later on. You have a business where your stock levels are stored in a databse or your clients names and addresses are stored. This information is accessed later when you require the address of joe bloggs. You type in joe bloggs and every thing you have stored on him is returned.

you must have heard of a database before?

davidj
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
in relation to your original question

if you want your site up and running in the next month or so then your going to have to write your news in a seperate page then copy and paste a snippet of the news adding a more link to the end of the snippet.

working with databases for what you want and understanding your level of knowledge i think your going to be over complicating your project.

i sugest you do this the simple way

domedia
07-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a typical blog setup. Did you look into wordpress, blogger etc?

Ninjax
07-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Look here http://kotaku.com/ as an example of what I want to do. Is it complicated?

Ninjax
07-16-2007, 04:23 PM
in relation to your original question

if you want your site up and running in the next month or so then your going to have to write your news in a seperate page then copy and paste a snippet of the news adding a more link to the end of the snippet.

working with databases for what you want and understanding your level of knowledge i think your going to be over complicating your project.

i sugest you do this the simple way

Yeah, thats what I wanted to do.
Is there an easy way of adding the comment system?

davidj
07-16-2007, 07:38 PM
no

just manually by writing the news and then copy a small section to your latest news box

Ninjax
07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't think you understand. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about how to add user posted comments.

davidj
07-16-2007, 09:16 PM
oh right

a blogger

im sure someone will have some wizardy tool that would do it

or you could write your own if your interested in learning a language

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

Ninjax
07-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah, sadly I don't have enough time in learning some new code, I'm a bit engrossed in creating my website.

davidj
07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
well then someone may come along with advice on software that may help
dreamweaver has built in functions that can connect to a database and add and edit content. I dont offer support for this but someone might help

domedia
07-16-2007, 09:56 PM
and as it turned out, my previous post, which pretty much was the answer, got completely ignored 8)

davidj
07-16-2007, 09:59 PM
is it me or can you hear someone muttering....

must have mice!

which are wearing little horned helmets