PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted white border round gif image

K.Simmonds
07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I just designed a web banner, and inserted a logo into it. I cut out the logo and put it on a transparent gif background. It works ..... except that there is a white line or border round the image. I redid the logo in Photoshop, and using the eliptical marquee, erased some of the edge to make it a very neat clean edge. But when I put it into the banner in Dreamweaver ... it still has the white border. Any ideas please.

domedia
07-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Sounds like maybe a transparent gif? You're not even telling which file format you're using 8)

Transparent gifs will try to add color to the image if there's some translucency in it.
How about attaching the image? Just a suggestion 8)

(moved thread out of the dreamweaver forum)

K.Simmonds
07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for replying. I'm still in the babies class with this ..... but I'm trying hard !
Here is the image I've made (I hope I've attached it OK)

K.Simmonds
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
PS I made the image as a jpeg, then cut it out and copied it to a transparent gif

scan
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
You might need to set the Matte ( this is the colour it adds around the edge as to blend it with the colour the image is going on top of) You could set it to none, or the colour of the banner. Hope this helps.

domedia
07-11-2007, 01:40 PM
PS I made the image as a jpeg, then cut it out and copied it to a transparent gif
This is not normal. There's no advantage to do this whatsoever. Why not save from PS directly to gif?

Your image btw does not have a white border, but a white background. How do you want it to look?

K.Simmonds
07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks for your other suggestion of ptting it on a same back ground as the banner. How stooopid. i should have thought of that. Anyway it works. Thanks again.

Jittor
07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
GIFs will always add a white choppy boarder to any sort of rounded edge. It sucks but the better way to go would be a png, doing what you did (putting it on the same background), or by adding a diffusion Transparency and reducing the amount to a lower percent.

The reason why it adds the white boarder is because the image is anti-aliased, meaning it has a slight blur to the edge to make it smoother, where a non-anti-aliased image has a choppy edge that usually looks like crap. So the GIF tries to fill the gaps using white pixels giving you a white boarder.