PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling Text & Fading Images

Roger Starkey
07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Hello folks, I've been asked to create a Web Site and as I have very limited experience I would like to ask for some advice.

I think I should upgrade from Front Page 2000 (which I have as part of Office 2000). I am considering Dreamweaver but before I take the plunge I would like to be reassured about its ability to handle two important requirements.

1. I want to produce (this is my terminology) a banner heading which displays a scrolling right to left text message (longish).

2. I want to display, in a single image area, a sequence of timed fading (wiping etc.) images.

If those two requirments can be met I guess my next question is about any recommended tutorials

thanks. Roger

cocoonfx
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi i would definately say Dreamweaver is the right, i would check out if Adobe are doing any bundles with Flash and dreamweaver. The banner ads would be more suitable in flash but you can get the same effect using java script which you can do in Dreamweaver.

I would have a look round the tutorials on the forum.

Roger Starkey
07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
thanks . . . . but to show how ignorant I am . . . . what's / where's Flash?

cocoonfx
07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Flash is a multimedia software for both online and off line content.

For example http://www.vw.co.uk/home

The image in the middle of the site is in Flash. Its extremely powerful bit of software which compliments HTML and other scripts.

Also read up on www.adobe.com

Stick with dreamweaver for now...

domedia
07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Roger, one piece of advice though. If you only want to point and click your mouse around to make websites, it might be that Frontpage is where you want to be. As a dreamweaver user, you'll get most out of the software if you're willing to dive into code (not that you need to).

Roger Starkey
07-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Yep . . . message received and understood. Code is not where I want to be. Roger

domedia
07-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Make sure you take DW for a testdrive. You can get a free trial version from their website dreamweaver.com. There's plenty of people (I think) not knowing code but still making websites with DW.

edbr
07-10-2007, 01:49 AM
There's plenty of people (I think) not knowing code but still making websites with DW.
I agree. Many approach web design not as a full time occupation. Code is off putting but the more you use dreamweaver the more you will get it. As someone suggested always view in code and design.