PDA

View Full Version : How hard to make this website ?

soulgolem
07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi, I hope I don't stress people with my status, but I'm a complete newbie with desire to learn. I just figured out we have Dreamweaver at school in the Mac studio, adobe version if I recall correctly and I wanted to make a band website with it, but couldn't understand where to start.

So first, since I don't want to hire anybody to do it for me, I would like to know how hard it would be to make a website like this one : http://franzferdinand.co.uk/

In my logic, the first step would be to create a background image with the menu drawn in it then add buttons to them to navigate. I would then add the content boxes with scroll bars using the draw div function.

My second question, how do I go about learning this software ? Are courses given somewhere ?

Thanks, Francis.

LoveLeather
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I too am a novice, but have spent loads of hours working with DW2004, and there lies the hard work.

Once you have a good understanding of the program, builing a site is actualy very easy, it just requires a good eye for detail and content.

minpot
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Its not easy, it hard work first to understand Dreamweaver, then how to use the tools . . . . . its tricky tricky . . . . . the smallest detail and you dont get what you want . . . . . tags, spaces, lines, backgrounds/ The slightest little thing can make you go crazy trying to find out what is wrong that does not allow you continue with your design . . . . . . . its not easy . . .. well there might be more savy ones out there,but for me has not been . . .after a non stop intensity of 4 and so months I'm beggining to put a site together, not so easy yet but kind and doing what i want. Although I continue to study and researching and going to forum like this to try to be better at it.
There are tutorials out there, there must be courses in your college or nearby institutes, community colleges, or even online . . . . .
So start now so very soon you will have your own website up
Good luck ! ! ! ! ! !! :lol:

soulgolem
07-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks, that boosted my confidence a bit, I'm the kind of person who really wants to do everything on his own, but this software was driving me nuts !! I guess by spending time with it, I'll be fine in the long run, though I do have some time frames !

A question now, I don't want to use frames, but all my website pages will have the same upper menu portion, how do I go about making this while making it easily editable in the future, let's say I want to edit the menu, I wouldn't like modifying 10 webpage menus. Frames would solve this, but I heard they should be avoided.

domedia
07-09-2007, 03:38 PM
A question now, I don't want to use frames, but all my website pages will have the same upper menu portion, how do I go about making this while making it easily editable in the future, let's say I want to edit the menu, I wouldn't like modifying 10 web page menus.
There's 2 ways you can do this, either by server side includes or using the tools DW already has created for this, Dreamweaver Templates. Based on what I think your skill set is, I recommend that you look into Dreamweaver Templates. The help files have some great info on templates as well. What you basically do is first make a website template. A web page prototype if you will. This is the master for all your other pages. In this template page, you define which parts of the site should be editable on individual pages, and what should be site wide changes only made from the template (like your navigation).

Now new pages will be made from the template. and when you change the template, all pages on your website will update automatically.

Frames would solve this, but I heard they should be avoided.
Please search the forum for this. Frames is not to be used for site layout. Like DJ says, it's like using a toaster for driving a nail in the wall; it might work, but it's very wrong. Frames would not solve this but make your website inaccessible.

soulgolem
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks, the template feature sounds great, so if I get it right, I will start by creating the part of the website that's common to all webpages and save it as a template, then complete the individual pages, then change the template if I need something changed on all pages that's relative to the common part ?

Thought of something though, I will probably have submenus, going back to the idea of a band website, try clicking on the lyrics menu button of the site I provided, then you get to another page with all songs on the right scrollbox, you click on one and the lyrics appear on the left box. If I have to update this, it would be hard work to update all individual pages, can dreamweaver do sub templates or something like that ?

Francis.

cocoonfx
07-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi

I created a bands website using flash. http://www.theglory.co.uk

It took me about 6 months to build this i did have some flash knowledge but the i learn't xml,PHP and other code when doing this.

Learn PHP script this forum has some really good tutorials which got me started. Once you master the basics of PHP the automatic updating will become easy todo.

fwr1000
07-09-2007, 05:37 PM
One of the big mistakes I made was plunging right into DW without understanding basic HTML and CSS. While you can learn by trial and error by clicking on buttons in Dreamweaver, life (and building the web site) is a lot more difficult without this basic knowledge. There are lots of tutorials on both HTML and CSS out there. If you do decide to go right to DW, try and use the split screen that shows both the design view and the code view. As you construct your site in Design view, you can see what code DW is writing behind the scenes and it will help you greatly .

minpot
07-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Well yessssssssss, I went directly into DW and got STUCKED with zero knowledge of html and css . . . I took an online DW course which helped with the css but yes the split layout is good to give you knowledge of what is going on back there with the html codes.
Sit back relax and start from the beggining, html, css and then DW will be an easier path.
Good luck again . . . my advise is always emotional and practical. I will never give you technical advise, I just DONT KNOW. I have come to this forum and some advise people have given me has been just fantastic to keep going and help to solve certain problems . . . . and the techical support at my hosting service has BEEN THE BEST, could never have come all this way without their help.
So . . . .this is what i have to add ! ! !!

chriskq
07-10-2007, 01:01 AM
I created a bands website using flash. http://www.theglory.co.uk

a nice site, but dont see the point of making it in flash. The only thing i see that is flash based is the 'hover over the balls' which serve no purpose to the user really.

sorry im rather anti flash esp when i see how easy it cud be to do in xhtml

cocoonfx
07-10-2007, 08:50 AM
At the time of creation i didn't have dreamweaver or enough experience in xhtml to build the site. So flash was the quickest and easy method for me at the time. Now i would not build a pure flash site.

I love flash anyhow each to there own.

LoveLeather
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
You simply cannt rely on DW to build a site completely, you will get stuck from time to time. I found this out recently.

I used the hyperlink tool in DW and all my links were underlined and blue, it looked crap.

All I needed to do was find a tiny amount of CSS that gave basic instructions for all my links on my page and change the colour settings, so easy, when you know how!

edbr
07-11-2007, 12:26 AM
You simply cannt rely on DW to build a site completely, you will get stuck from time to time. I found this out recently.
yes you can

I used the hyperlink tool in DW and all my links were underlined and blue, it looked crap

very easy to add or change styles with DW

domedia
07-11-2007, 01:40 AM
It's basically a a question of how you like to work I guess. I know the capability of DW far outreaches my skillset with the software, but I like to do the majority of my own coding. For *many* others it's the other way around though.

fwr1000
07-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Some of the things that are done from within Dreamweaver but where you need understanding HTML are things like adding a fav icon. Can't think of any others right now but know that I an regularly using code view to make pages work like I want.

edbr
07-11-2007, 01:57 AM
agree completely but code view is part of DW and an important part.
but It is possible to make a complete site with DW. As you become more ambitious yes you will code more, but how many people make sites just using notepad or other editor I wonder?
Dw is just a tool.

soulgolem
07-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, purchased a tutorial and I'm really starting to get it in depth now, I am posting my other inquiry from this thread in another post because it's out of context here !

markthedoc
07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
I started out with little html & css knowledge and started using Dreamweaver. I found it very frustrating because I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't get things to look the way I wanted, but after reading loadsa books on xhtml, css etc and watching video tutorials and stuff, I find I can't remember how do half the stuff in design view, and much prefer to use the code view.