PDA

View Full Version : dmw 8 & cs3 wont put files

stevesda
07-06-2007, 10:22 AM
hi guys. i'm relatively new new to this whole dreamweaver thing, and sorry to barge in here and ask for advice straight away, hopefully assuming things go ok i'll be able to offer some advice one day, but for now....help!

right , can connect to my site, and see all the files etc , can edit the pages ok, but can't put them on the remote server.

i'm running a mac osx 10.4.8,

all ftp details are good - all settings look right,

it just wont transfer any files to the server, also can't even use it to put an image from my CPU into the server for using/storing -

it begines putting a very small amount of the file, then:

i get the message

"connecting to [site]"

then "operation timed out"

you can half see the files sometimes on the server, but not entirely there.

i thought it may be an ftp issue on my MAC, but all the settings look ok, - firewall, passive ftp etc etc

the only thing i dont have filled in is the host directory - which shuuldn't make a difference anyway

help!!!

davidj
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I know this doesnt solve your problem but i wouldnt use DW to do this.

Set DW to work locally transfering files from your remote and local dir which is on the same machine (set it up to be a network not FTP to do this). You build, test and fix in this environment untill your happy. Close DW and open your dedicated 3rd party FTP utility (not sure which for a MAC) and use that to release your masterpiece to the world

Never use a dev tool to connect to live environment. Very bad practice

stevesda
07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
thanks for that, i had thought about doing this, its just i thought it would be a hell of a lot quicker/simpler to let DW do the lot.

have just tried to with cuteftp, this connects, begins transferring and times out.
i am now convinced there is either a ftp problem specific to my cpu, or something to do with my host (some permission or something), as the same basically happens.

any ideas how to sort this? strange thing is, i have used cuteftp from another cpu before and my current cpu has all the same settings etc...

honestly its driving me mad.

fwr1000
07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
The server will not let you connect unless you point to the host directory. Try setting this in the DW site manager and see what happens.

domedia
07-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Nothing to do with your CPU or host. Your settings are not right, so you fail to connect.

stevesda
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
trust me i've been through the settings a million times and it doesn't seem to make a difference - is it worth playing about with them - i.e. trying different preferences? thing is i connect to the site first of all, its just transferring that doesn't work.

fwr1000
07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Not sure, but if you are trying to put files and have not designated you host directory, it may be that the provider will not allow uploads of files to any other place. Try setting the host directory as specified by you provider in your site set up.

domedia
07-06-2007, 05:11 PM
is it worth playing about with them - i.e. trying different preferences? Not really, FTP is a pretty straight forward protocol. If the info your host does not work for you, you need to tell them so they can fix it or give you correct info.

stevesda
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
thanks for the help guys - just had a 30 minute chat with adobe and they were no help! - not a problem with the hosts either - all info good apparently.... looks like i'll have to find a way around it using a 3rd party ftp utility for now... cheers again!

davidj
07-09-2007, 10:40 AM
best way to do it really

stevesda
07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
before i do this and mess it up, is there any specific settings or permissions that have to be altered before using dreamweaver in this way? presume its a case of saving the pages locally then you are effectively publishing them via your ftp client?

domedia
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
No that is not what it means :-) Saving local filse will not automatically publish to server.
But what is it that you are doing, you said 'before using dreamweaver in this way'. What way?

stevesda
07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
sorry, i was referring to davidj first post

Set DW to work locally transfering files from your remote and local dir which is on the same machine (set it up to be a network not FTP to do this). You build, test and fix in this environment untill your happy. Close DW and open your dedicated 3rd party FTP utility (not sure which for a MAC) and use that to release your masterpiece to the world

Never use a dev tool to connect to live environment. Very bad practice

talking about using dreamweaver to basically design it, but not to publish it?

domedia
07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
ah my bad :)
I'll let Dj give you advice on his method.

davidj
07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
just create 2 dirs

local and remote.

set this up in site manager and then develop as normal. then Test test test...

once done take your site and FTP it using a 3rd party tool like cute or smart)

never use dw to tweak from your live site

stevesda
07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
cheers guys!! much appreciated, and far better help than adobe!!