PDA

View Full Version : Image Loading Problems

joni21uk
07-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Hello,
Im pretty new to all this but have designed a homepage for my website in fireworks exported to dreamweaver and published it on the web, that all went smoothly.
The problem is when I open the site on the web the images, rollover buttons and text load quite slowly one after the next instead of all loading together as a whole like most sites, and I can see the little image/jpeg symbol behind where the image will load.
Also some images start off large and out of focus, as the page loads they decrease in size and come into focus.
I only have 4 small images, text and rollover buttons (hardly a big page)
I'm obviously doing somthing wrong,
Any suggestions greatfully received,
Thank You.
Jon

edbr
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
how many kilobytes are your images?

joni21uk
07-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Im not sure, at work at the moment so cant look,
the physical size of the images are small.
Any ideas?

edbr
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
it sounds like the images are big if they are taking a log time to load. what is the link to your site and we can check for you

joni21uk
07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks
The Web Address is http://www.eastbridgfordtennisclub.co.uk (http://www.eastbridgfordtennisclub.co.uk/)
Thanks for help.

domedia
07-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi Joni, your homepage makes 162 requests to your server, is almost 1mb total download (853 KB) and took me 25.05s to load, and I have a pretty fair broadband connection.

The design is beautiful, but I think your challenge is more the concept of a website/page. Everything on your website is an image. There is no text whatsoever. A basic website should at least have a a header tag or 2, paragraph tags for content, and use of the other tags where semantically correct. It look like you just sliced everything from Photoshop and put directly on the page. For a regular user with a phone modem, you site is not accessible at all, they're not going to wait 10-15min (someone else do the math) minutes for the homepage to load.

Your design skills are great, but I think it's time for you to dive into web design principles now :)

joni21uk
07-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks,
Your right, I designed it in fireworks and exported it to dreamweaver. Thats the only way I know. From what you said this obviously makes the site bigger than it could be.
To be honest I really dont understand about header tags, paragraph tags ect.. is it difficult to learn and would i be able to achieve the same results.
Where is the best place to learn these techniques.
Can you point me in the right direction or give me any advice,
Thanks so much
Joni,

edbr
07-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Dreanmweaver tuttorials for one. They are a good place to start. I used the book dreamweaver for dummies when I began.
I cant see your design for the reason Dom said ( I have broadband but limited)
but we will help you here if and when you run into problems.

fwr1000
07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
A great book I have used is Dreamweaver 8, the Missing Manual by McFarland. Starts from the basics and goes all the way to dynamic sites.