PDA

View Full Version : writing text over a template layout

truman25
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
okay i made my template layout in photoshop and i did the slices and the editable region. However, when i put the layout in dreamweaver and put text or anything over the gradient text boxes i made as part of the look it makes big white boxes over it. Is there a way in dreamweaver to put text or image over a designed layout while stil keeping its design in tact?

domedia
07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
You can't make a website like that. You have to first figure out what is regular images and what is background images. Photoshop can not do this for you I'm afraid :(

Not knowing your site (you didn't give any code/url) the best I can do is give you a sample code for the content block background:

#content {background: url(backgroundimage.jpg) #ccc repeat-x;}

The things defined above is the path to the image, the background color of the block (where the image does not cover) and telling the background to tile horizontally.

truman25
07-03-2007, 03:57 PM
I am confused?? I just started learning dreamweaver. I had read tutorials about dropping a photoshop layout into dreamweaver for a template. i don't understand the code you gave me. do you have the background image on some form of ftp like photobucket. i do not have my site live or have a ftp for it yet i am just testing out dreamweaver. Can you help me? I will send you my code, but again all it is, is a mock up template made and sliced in photoshop and then made editable regions in dreamweaver. Thanks

domedia
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I am confused?? I just started learning dreamweaver. I had read tutorials about dropping a photoshop layout into dreamweaver for a template. Web design in general has something of a learning curve, especially if you add DW into it with no previous web design experience.
i don't understand the code you gave me. do you have the background image on some form of ftp like photobucket. No you would normally keep your images in the same location as your html files, maybe in a separate directoryi do not have my site live or have a ftp for it yet i am just testing out dreamweaver. Can you help me? I will send you my code, but again all it is, is a mock up template made and sliced in photoshop and then made editable regions in dreamweaver. Thanks Sure just paste it in here, but to be honest it sounds like you should go through some beginner tutorials first to get a good hold on how webpages are made. Having Photoshop slice it up automatically and drop it into DW is not going to work unless you at least know how text can be centered on top of background images.

Can anyone else that is using trumans approach come with some insight? This is not how I normally make pages, so I want to make sure I'm not giving any wrong advice.

truman25
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I know how to use a WUSISWG in the editable areas from a past program. What i need to know is how to set a background you can then edit over with the layout and design still in tact? So how do you make a web background in dreaweaver that you can edit over?:confused:

domedia
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
The you would know how to use the graphic as a background, so you can post text on top of it, no? Highlight an area and set the background image, preferrably through CSS, but right in the properties panel would do as well.

Or use my sample code from above, but that requires handcoding :-(