PDA

View Full Version : what is CSS?

jazzybelle
07-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey, I am totally new to all this...and I was wondering if someone could please explain to me what exactly is CSS. I see it everywhere, everyone tells me I should be using it, I've tried to research it, yet I still don't really understand it.
Any words of wisdom out there?

gmcrone
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
In web design there are 2 main factors to your content.
1. The structure. Using HTML you set up the structure of a page. This is all the code like H1, H2 , P , etc.
Think of your structure as an outline of your content.

2. The layout. CSS is used to arrange the layout of your page. Meaning with CSS you tell the browser what goes where, what colours to use, what fonts to use, etc.
The most common method of using CSS is to create a separate CSS file which you link to each page in your site. (1 CSS file lnking to numerous web pages.)

By keeping the structure separate from the layout it speeds up the download process, makes updating changes to pages easier, and helps accessibility issues on your pages.

Mike...

carolinawebdesign
07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Well said Mike.

I am also new to CSS, and figured out the hard way to have multiple CSS files depending on the page. Every time I changed one thing in one page, it moved it on the other page as well making everything scrambled. Instead I pointed the page to a different CSS file that I just tweaked a bit for each page. Hope that makes sense... And hope it was right, LOL