PDA

View Full Version : Separate sites, or subdomains?

grayflo
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I have 3 domains for 3 web sites and also, thanks to a kind friend, have free unlimited hosting for each of them, so if I want, I could have three distinct and independent sites. This would be great! BUT... At some time in the future the free hosting may finish.
I would not be able to pay for separate hosting for three sites and so would want to combine all into one big site. I understand that in DW I can import sites A and B into site C and making them sub domains.

I had thought that, if I had to combine the sites, I would still keep all the domains active, and use frame forwarding to point domain names A and B to the relevant folders in site C.

What is your opinion on that? Is it viable, or would it be better never to have three separate sites at all, and to set up sub domains for A and B right at the start , using domain forwarding for from the very beginning?

By the way, they are distinct, but related in genre, so combining them will not be the least bizarre!!

I am keen to set things up at the start in a way that will cause the least problems later.
I have been reading and researching, and have sought the opinions of other experienced DW users, but would very much value your input, too. Thanks

domedia
07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Hosting is really cheap nowadays and only getting cheaper. I would just keep them separated.

grayflo
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks domedia for your advice.

domedia
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Especially if they are distinctive and different like you say, it kind of warrants 3 separate sites. You can get hosting for all 3 websites for under $10/m combined without a problem.

grayflo
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes. After reading your first post I looked around and here in the UK there are some good deals.
So I'll go with your advice and establish 3 separate sites.
Once again, many thanks.