PDA

View Full Version : MySQL Database connection failure

Dobelina
06-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi,

I am a total beginner and just trying to put together dynamic pages for the first time. My problem is that I cannot get access to MySQL databases from DW8.

I have set up an Apache test server on my Windows XP machine running MySQL, and created a database. I can see it all working fine in MySQL Administrator.

I have declared the test server in DW8 which is accepted, but when I want to access the MySQL databases on that server (the "select database" step in "Create a Connection"), I get this message:

HTTP Error Code 404 File Not Found. Here are possible reasons for the problem:
1) There is no testing server running on the server machine.
2. The testing server specified for this site does not map to the http://localhost/_mmServer Scrips/MMHTTPDB.php URL. Verify that the URL maps to the root of the site.

I know the server is running, but I don't understand the second suggestion. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Dobelina

davidj
06-30-2007, 08:26 AM
ok
this has caused me more headaches than most

In your directory (local) when setting up your dynamic site dreamweaver will create a hidden dir and files called mmServerScripts

copy that dir and included files to your live dir.. then try and reconnect

Dobelina
06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Dear David,

Thanks for looking into this and for your suggestion. On my connection request DW creates the _mmServerScripts dir in the local server root dir and the site root dir. I have copied the _mmServerScripts dir to the \bin and \data directories of the server root, and even started a whole new testsite with the root in the same directory as the server root. I can't see how there can be any pathway confusion left!

However, none of this changes one iota. Same error message at same point.

I have checked again that MySQL is running with visible databases and that localhost points to the server root, which seems to exclude both possible causes of error given in the error message.

I'm running out of things to change!

Cheers,
Dobelina

Dobelina
07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
After some study, the reasons why things did not work are manyfold. The Error 404 is due to the server root being defined in the Apache .ini file as ..\htdocs. If you set this to anything else in DM8, you will evoke the Error 404. :roll:

Next error message is that the server does not recognise MySQL. After some more study, it appears that this is due to having to load the MySQL extensions library in the PHP .ini, which you have to set manually. Only then you can make a connection.:o

There were more errors, some plainly down to my ignorance.:oops:

PHP is still not handling MySQL as I get blank pages (whereas PHP without MySQL works fine), but I am getting there!

I am amazed that this post-install tweaking is necessary. Hope I will some day get around to do some programming. Give me FORTRAN-77 any day!

Dobelina

davidj
07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
or you could just install WAMP5 and then all your troubles would never have appeared

davidj
07-16-2007, 06:41 PM
oh and respect to the fortran skillset

nice and oldschool

we still use cobol

domedia
07-16-2007, 08:54 PM
or you could just install WAMP5 and then all your troubles would never have appeared
Quoted for truth

stoneygossard
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Quoted for truth

Endorsed quote to emphasize the truth!