PDA

View Full Version : Layers in Tables (Newbie question)

Coolbreeze
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
im a total novice so apologies for the very basic nature of this question; ive searched the archives and read up a few books and cant find the answer im looking for - maybe i dont know how to ask?

Im building a webpage which is 1024 x 768. Each page is essentially a jpeg image within which i want to nest a flash gallery or quicktime. Each page is a table, 1 column 1 row, with the jpeg image inserted into it, and the table is center aligned on the page so its always centered regardless of what size the screen is.
Ive then created a layer, lined it up over the table where i want it and inserted my flash gallery. The problem being that if i resize the window i cant get the layer to remain in the same position relevent to the table - the table moves as the browser is enlarged but the layer stays put. Does that make sense?
Now im a photoshop guy so thats how im used to thinking (layers etc) - i know dreamweaver layers arent the same but i cant for the life of me figure out how to sort this problem out:( I havent a clue about code so please dont point me in that direction!
Id greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me.

domedia
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
You are most likely absolutely positioning your layer. Which means it will never be center unless it's inside an element that is position: relative.

Coolbreeze
06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
ok...so how do i change absolute positioning?

domedia
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
The absolute positioning should be right in there in your properties panel, no?

Coolbreeze
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
i see an align menu button (currently ticked at default) when i select the flash file, but thats not there when i select the layer - is this what you're talking about?

Coolbreeze
06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
so ive played with the align button for the flash file but i can only align it so it stays fixed top to bottom but not left to right as well - anyway to do both or are my choices limited?
thanks again for the help,

Andromeda
06-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Take a look at the attached picture. I've put a box around the two fields you need to fill in.
L = how many pixels from the left that you want your layer.
T = how many pixels from the top that you want your layer.

domedia
06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
The problem is that those fields are filled in, they shouldn't be if you don't want the box to be positioned absolutely.

Coolbreeze
06-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies - ive finally figured out how to change my positioning from absolute to relative (im slow sorry!) but when i switch to relative positioning the layer moves to the bottom of my page and i loose my lovely layout. When i delete the figures in the fields as domedia suggested the positions in the upper left hand corner of the frame and i cant position it anywhere else? Any suggestions?

domedia
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Go into source view and move the <div> wherever you want. You have to start getting comfortable editing HTML. 8)

Coolbreeze
06-29-2007, 04:53 PM
thanks - ill give it a go - i was hoping to avoid dealing with html :( - i thought one of the advantages of dreamweaver was it could be used in manner suitabel for designers familiar with photoshop - is there no other way?