PDA

View Full Version : Frames/background/template question

QwertyKeyboard
06-21-2007, 12:29 AM
I am going crazy trying to figure out how to create a certin type of page in Dreamweaver CS3. I want to have a background, and I want it to be shown on all edges of the page. Then I want inside that, the real part of the page, with a frame on the left, a frame on the top, a frame on the bottom, and a main frame. This may be hard to understand so I drew up a little picture of what I mean.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4416/argjg2.gif

Now, that's very sloppy, sorry, but I am on at a very bad spot for percise mouse movements, and I am angry that I couldn't figure this out.

Anyway, I want to make a template (I know it's nothing very interesting, but it's just for my personal use). I want editable region to be the main frame (as everything else will be the same throughout the site). How do I do that?

Thanks for any help.

edbr
06-21-2007, 12:54 AM
not frames please!
what you need is a body is the background of the page.
A wrapper to hold all your page content then you want a header,left column,right column and then a footer.
These are best defined as divisions controlled by an external css page.

Andromeda
06-21-2007, 02:45 AM
I ditto what edbr says about frames.

How much do you know about designing web sites / using dreamweaver?
Without knowing what level you're at it's a bit hard to know what advice to give you.

QwertyKeyboard
06-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I'd say beginner to lower moderate... Though I think I've found a way around what I wanted to do, leaving me with a different problem. A much simplier question.

I've created a template from a blank template (HTML if it matters) with editable regions and such. How do I create new pages based on this template?

Andromeda
06-21-2007, 07:16 PM
In DW8 you go file>new and then a box comes up with two tabs general and templates. Choose the templates one and go from there.

domedia
06-21-2007, 08:09 PM
And if you plan to work with templates for your site (smart 8)) read through the help files on the subject, it will save you lots of time.