PDA

View Full Version : css tall order, 100% columns


dazzclub
06-19-2007, 12:53 AM
hi guys,
im creating a basic css site, banner, navigation holder, content holder and a footer.

now what i would like is to have two columns side by side, one on the left and one on the right. These rest within the content holder ( this just holds all the text and imags). now i would like to set the height as 100% but kept in shape using margin borders so it doesnt over flow the content holder.

now comes the tricky part,for me it is. if i where to put some content in say the left column ,making it stretch from its original position, this will affect the right column,making the right column stretch aswell. so visual they will always be the same size.

can anyone help me out on this.

cheers

domedia
06-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Stretch, but visually be the same size? Explain.

Do you mean if the browser width is changed they will still have the same relative width compared to the browser width? Let's say one column 30% and the other 70% wide.

gmcrone
06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Looking for equal height columns.

Try this from project 7 web site.

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm

Mike...

dazzclub
07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
hi guys,

if you have a look at this site, http://212.241.182.217/huttons/ in ie7 or firefox first. You will notice that tha two columns which hold links, left column starts with home, etc and the right column starts with clothing.

now for how it works.

the content in the middle ( click on press release ) you will notice that the page has expanded. This is because the content holder will expand for any amount of txt or images that are placed in this div tag. and if you noticed aswell the left and right columns also expanded.

my problem is when it comes to ie6, they do not seem to work at all, thats the left and right column fail to expand?

can anyone throw any light on it or chuck me a tut?

cheers

domedia
07-06-2007, 01:41 PM
So you want one div to automatically get it's length from another?
Didn't know this was possible..

Hey love that design btw dazzclub. Very similar style to a designer I work with. I would make some of those side column links block elements, they're a little easier to use that way.

d a v e
07-07-2007, 06:48 PM
it's a nice design but it breaks really easily when you resize the text :(