PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting On Local Computer for Testing

lloydmav
06-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I'm just trying to start building my first dynamic website. First of all I would like to set up my local computer up as a web server so that I can start doing some basic database stuff.

However when I try to Install the Windows Component Internet Information Server (IIS) I get and error message message that it cannot install certain dll's and then enter the XP Pro SP2 cd, I do that but it still can't find the files. And I don't seem to beable to download any IIS or PWS

I'm really stuck now, surely what I'm looking for should be really simple

Appreciate any solutions people can offer

Thanks

Lloyd

Paws
06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
If your windows IIS is screwed then get Apache, same but may be better that IIS.

http://projects.apache.org/

Hope you have luck with it as I prefer IIS, also what is the DLL files you are getting errors on, just download them from the MS site or Google them or re-install service pack 2.

Hope that helps you.

edbr
06-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Check out Daidj's video's on WAMP to set up a local server.
Other options are available such as apache2triad and xxamp both will self install a local apache server with php and mysql

Paws
06-16-2007, 07:10 AM
I don't like davidj, I will rather Google my answers plus there is already so many tuts on how to do that.
Cheers

edbr
06-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I will rather Google my answers plus there is already so many tuts on how to do that.
your choice mate, what ever your personal feelings DJ works hard to help others.

I'm really stuck now, surely what I'm looking for should be really simple
apche2triad and xxamp are easy to install and you will have the same setup as most hosters. DJ uses wamp and has followed this up with a lot of support.

lloydmav
06-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I downloaded and installed apache and then I figured out the problem with IIS. I only bought the laptop I'm using the other day and didn't realise but it came complete with file system FAT32 rather than NTFS. Once I corrected that and applied a security fix ISS installed without a problem...

I'm only just learning how to put together these websites, I did some dreamweaver at university and my developer background is vb and sql server. The tutorial book I'm following uses IIS and ASP pages so I just wanted to follow these instructions as an intro...

So which would be easier for me to use, ASP or PHP, are they programming alternatives to each other? Are their any serious limitations to them or is it not an either or relationship?

Thank again

Lloyd

davidj
06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
hi Lloyd

ASP and PHP are from the same stable regarding functionality and power. ASP is a microsoft thing and thus requires a windows platform to run especialy on Host Servers (i know that ASP can run on other platforms but its what the hosting companies support that matters). You tend to pay a bit more for your hosting requirements when running ASP apps. Big companies tend to lean toward that environment because they probably use a microsoft platform already.

ASP is a subset of VB so if you have wrapped your head around that then your halfway there.

PHP is open source. Mainly running on a linux platform, the costs are low to hosting companies which savings are passed onto you the developer. PHP leans toward a C structured environment.

I started in the ASP programming environment but due to a change of jobs had to take on PHP and i have never looked back

Which ever you choose please learn to code. Never rely on dreamweaver from the outset or your going to get stuck once you step outside of the DW comfort zone

if you want to give PHP a shot try these ...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

if you get the bug while your absorbing the logic then you will know its the right choice you made. If you dont like programming and choose dreamweaver to write your code then thats fine too but remember YOU WILL run into trouble

if you let something else write your code how can you expect someone else to put it right when it goes wrong