PDA

View Full Version : How do I start with making a website?

Smikerboyz
06-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I just got started with dreamweaver 8. I know how to manage sites and make htm pages. But one thing that I would like to know is to how I can put my site onto the world wide web and make my own URL. Please don't type any difficult technical terms because I won't understand it. Thank you!

davidj
06-15-2007, 12:44 PM
first you need a domain name which is how people will recognise your site and its how its addressed...

yourname.com

You have to purchase the name but there not expensive. Have a look on Google for domain names.

then you need some host space. godaddy seems to be popular for functionality, service and cost.

try this for your host and your domain name requirements.
www.godaddy.com

domedia
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
smiker you at least need go to through the first couple of tutorials that comes with DW. :)

Newin
06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Once you have purchased the domain name and webhosting (hostmonster.com is a good one too)
Open DW
Go to SITE, NEW SITE and then enter the information such as: root folder, http address (your domain name).
Then in the left side of the same icon clikc on REMOTE info -> Acces --> FTP, and enter the information your webhosting gave you.
Voila! hope I helped..

davidj
06-18-2007, 08:56 PM
newin

i think you have just overloaded him with tech

Newin
06-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Although he has to learn it sooner or later:-D

:confused:

cocoonfx
06-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Make sure you get a web host which provides techincal support for free and also make sure it has PHP and MySQL for when you get to a more advanced level.

kahuba
07-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Whatdo you guys think of aplus.net as far as a hosting service? Any big difference between Unix and Windows servers?

davidj
07-11-2007, 08:19 AM
windows cost more due to licensing

dazzclub
07-11-2007, 03:56 PM
and your web site has to be .net application.

.net is the dogs dinner let me tell you!!!

davidj
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
horses for courses

.net is another serverside technology

you have others like PHP, ASP, Coldfusion, JSP

these technologies allow interaction with your site like hooking up a database

im a PHP guy and love it but there are others

basically its up to you to make your bed and then you have to lay in it.

kahuba
07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't understand the phrase "serverside technology" as it relates to the difference between .com and .net extensions. Please explain...

davidj
07-12-2007, 06:11 AM
you have HTML which allow you to create websites. Websites that just display information but if you want to use a form to catch data from a user and store that data your going to need a database and a language that can communicate with the database.

introducing ...
PHP, Coldfusion, ASP, JSP, .NET

dont confuse .NET with .COM as they reference different sides of the technology. .NET is a language definition not a domain extension.

serverside languages like PHP allow you to program the server to perform a task from data that is keyed by the user. The pages carry a .PHP, .ASP, .JSP extension to alert the server that there is some script to process before returning the page to the user

carolinawebdesign
07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
and your web site has to be .net application.

.net is the dogs dinner let me tell you!!!

Dazz,
What does that mean?

davidj
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
i think he is refering to the dot net language

and i dont think he likes it

edbr
07-26-2007, 01:26 AM
as opposed to the other end of the animal which would mean he does like it

kate
07-26-2007, 08:10 PM
And don't use FTP in dreamweaver...ouch!

davidj
07-26-2007, 08:11 PM
yeah

that too