PDA

View Full Version : How to make a cell in a table link to another website, not the text in the table cell

rmontyw
06-13-2007, 02:45 AM
So I made a single column table which I use as my menu for my website. It has 6 rows, and 2 of those cells are supposed to be links to other websites. But when I try to do this it attaches itself to the text in those cells and the text becomes underlined, which is really annoying aesthetically..... so I was hoping to just be able to attach the link to the table cell.

Is this possible?

Karkar
06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
you could just make the text not be underlined by changing the text-decoration style "css" to none. - assuming you're using a stylesheet.

if you are... just do something like eg:

a.topnav:link {
font-family:Arial or whatever;
text-decoration:none;
}
a.topnav:visited {
}
a.topnav:hover {
}

L3XXY
06-13-2007, 05:15 AM
I have a question guys (my apologies for the noobness)

Can I create a Table, lets say with 3 rows and 3 columns.

now is there anyway to independently take the columns and adjust to different position inside the table, ie:

the first row has a column that is 100px across, but the next column starts at say 150px, basically I want to know if there is away to detach segments and move freely so that I donít have to keep placing tables within tables or stacking tables on top of each other.

If that makes any sense:roll:

Karkar
06-13-2007, 07:13 AM
If I were you I would create the columns as individual tables. Tables are very simple and basic I guess. If you want to get away from all that it's worth using divs.

domedia
06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
You've revealed one of the limitations to use a table for layout :)
Use simple container boxes instead (<div>), these you can place where you want to.

L3XXY
06-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Ok, will do :)

Hey is it true that SE's can't read text inside tables?

Karkar
06-15-2007, 10:02 AM
no i dont believe so. Lots of website are created completely with tables... others that are centered but use divs are in one giant table.

domedia
06-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey is it true that SE's can't read text inside tables? Karkar is right, SE's can read all text between tags, no matter what the tags are.

L3XXY
06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Thats good to know :) I don't know why I was under that impression:roll:

domedia
06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
There's this myth about tables being bad for search engines. You probably read it somewhere on the web :)