PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver + Databases

jendy
06-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am a graphic designer who recently taught myself Dreamweaver. I'm designing a website for a magazine who wants a survey on their site. I created the survey in Dreamweaver using radio buttons and checkboxes, but I don't know how to get the survey results into a database. I've been reading about mySQL, but not sure if I need to go that route. Does anyone out there know the easiest way to get the answers into a format that I can easily access?

Also can anyone recommend a useful and simple book which covers my dilemma.

Thanks!;-)

Karkar
06-11-2007, 02:51 AM
There are some very helpful tutorials on this site that cover the basics of php and mysql... I don' thiink they cover exactly what you want to do, but it's a good way to understand databasing and scripting a lot more.

davidj
06-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Hi Jendy Welcome to the forum

//////////////

I feel for you..

as a professional graphic designer you have had to diversify into web - technologies (kicking and screaming no doubt) As a designer you are expected to offer a web design service and part of that service has to include scripted products like eshops and web 2.0 solutions. A couple of years ago a design house could knock-up a poster on Monday and send out an invoice on Tuesday. Until recently a designer could even get away with throwing together a 5 page static web site and because of their skills with a paintbrush could mask the mess behind the scenes. Yesterday your market was designing business cards, menus, billboard posters and today they are building commerce solutions with SAP API's using SOAP.

First off the survey solution your after can be purchased and there are many to choose from. You would have to justify passing this cost onto your client against building this yourself. I would do a costing excercise and evaluate the cost of the product against your development time (and training time). The biggest mistake developers make is to charge 'mates rates'. Mates Rates equate to less than the minimum wage and you feel obliged to charge them because your a nice person and you want to help your client out. DON'T DO IT!

some ready made survey solutions...
http://www.quask.com/common/home.asp
http://www.classapps.com/SelectSurveyOverview.asp
http://www.vanguardsw.com/vista/web-site-feedback-surveys.htm?gclid=CKjzgvi_04wCFQrlQgod0RNeuQ

Maybe this project is not the best for developing a new skill but as a designer offering a web service you will be asked for dynamic solutions. Clients tend to think that if you can build a web site or even advertise a web design service then you can integrate a web solution using XML or Build a real time Stock market monitor or write a chat engine. Most web sites today offer some kind of dynamic functionality from Newsletter subscriptions to RSS feeds and as you offer a web service you will have to know this stuff.

Ask yourself these questions before diving into PHP

Do i want to offer this level of development
Am i interested in this technology and welcome it with open arms
Can i afford to knock this work back
do i have the time to commit and dedicate to learning
do i want to become a programerRemember this is a new skillset which takes time. Its like a carpenter retraining to be a mechanic.

If you want to progress and learn PHP then there are tutorials here. It does not offer a solution to your requirements but will provide the Lego bricks to help you build it. What you build with those bricks is up to you.

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

jendy
06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all your info davidj. It's nice to know I'm not the only one frustrated with the duty requirements that continuously gat tagged onto the graphic designer job description. I'm willing to learn because I feel as though I don't have a choice, or I'll be left in the dust of client based needs. I'm going to check out your suggestions and hope for the best. :grin: