PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with flash in this day and age?

L3XXY
06-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Hi guys,

I would appreciate some expert feedback to this question. I run a gaming website for people who own xbox 360, PS3 and Nintendo wii. All of these consoles require at least a 1.5 connection to the internet to play online.

Now because my target audience for my website / forum would have this technology, I went to town on my Flash animations and graphical content.

My question is: Should i be concerned that my website would probably not even run for people with old skool 56K and stuff? And why don't I see any websites similar to mine in the same genre. They seem lame and boring?

Have I gone to far, or am I just embracing the future before it is here for everyone?

or are there other reasons that I'm not even aware of why the similar sites are so tame?

thanks for your opinions. (site can be viewed in sig link)

davidj
06-09-2007, 07:24 AM
My question is: Should i be concerned that my website would probably not even run for people with old skool 56K and stuff?
I dont think those flash animations are that bad and they come with progress bar's anyway (which i like)

And why don't I see any websites similar to mine in the same genre. They seem lame and boring?

i disagree.. I like your site and its design but be careful when you start slagging off others because boring to you means content to me!

http://ps3.gameseek.co.uk/
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/

Have I gone to far, or am I just embracing the future before it is here for everyone?again its a nice site but your not exactly cutting edge. Your not a revolutionary!

or are there other reasons that I'm not even aware of why the similar sites are so tame? I dont know what you mean by tame? Personaly i dont visit a site because the flash ani is excellent i visit because the content is good.

Andromeda
06-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Personaly i dont visit a site because the flash ani is excellent i visit because the content is good.

I also do not visit a site because of the flash but because of the content.

In fact I tend to lean towards disliking flash sites because they slow my progress down - I'm usually there to look for info etc not to sit back with a hot cup of tea and be entertained but then again I'm a very busy person and maybe a wee old fashioned! :-)

Just another perspective.

L3XXY
06-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks dj & Andromeda.

It's great to get feedback from people in the know. You are also right. I should be placing more emphasis on my content. I'm just glad that the flash in your opinions is not hindering the overall feel.

cheers guys.

Karkar
06-12-2007, 10:22 PM
http://www.nextgg.com/index-Nintendo_Challenge.html

AHAHA. That's gold.

cocoonfx
06-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Your site is pretty cool. The flash animations are very good.

See if you can reduce the file size on the images and use .png files as their meant to be more friendly with flash. Cut out any unnessary layers and key frames as well.

You can also compress the .swf which is a built in feature in flash.

Also is 56K a problem these days? i would imagine most people are on the high bandwidth that this.