PDA

View Full Version : Template editable layer

perkin5
06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I want to create a template for a CSS-based website and I want the editable region to be a layer. All help for templates seems to refer to an area of a table being designated as editable.

I have, nevertheless gone ahead and selected the layer and inserted an editable layer (Insert>Template Objects>Editable Region...). Having created a new doc based on the template, DW allows me to edit the text OK but I also want to edit the layer size to accommodate the content. DW, however, locks the layer dimensions and will not allow me to do that. When I try to change the layer size I get the message:

Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded.

Can anyone show me the way to achieve what I want?

Andromeda
06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I suppose you could insert another layer inside that editable layer (not in your template but in your pages made from the template).

Coryan
12-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Okay, I'm reviving this thread because I'm having the same problem. I worked with the template for about a week with no problem. But yesterday when I tried to change a cell width on the template, it gave me the same error message, "Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. The change will be discarded."

Any idea why this would happen? I need to edit the template and it will only let me make changes in the editable area. It's treating the template as if it was a page created FROM a template. But I double checked and I am working from the template.

myworld295
07-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm often getting too many restrictions in the editable area of my template when adding content on linked pages. Additionally, if I add a table or div layer to the pages on a particular website, Dreamweaver keeps shifting them to the left and locking them out and bending the editable area around them or something like that.

All the <br>s are because I am trying to space out the page to see what it will look like roughly but haven't added the final content yet.

<!--This contains the editable area-->
<!--PROBLEM HERE-->

<td height="33" colspan="8" align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="centre_font"><p class="centre_align"><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Main Content" --><span class="leftalign">Recent Publications<br />
<br />
This will show a list of publications<br />
<br />
<br />
</span><br />
<!-- InstanceEndEditable --><script type="text/javascript"></script></p></td>
</tr>
<!--END OF PROBLEM AREA-->

Can anyone help with this? I can't add content